GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and also looked through the "how to" postings and could not find a step-by-step set of instructions to replace front and rear brake pads. Is there one on the board I am missing? Do I have to pull the wheels?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
17,125 Posts
Easiest pad exchange you could imagine. Remove the rubber cover toward the bottom of the caliper. Use hex socket wrench to remove pad pin. Old shoes will "fall" out into your hand. Use a suitable cleaner to flush any gritty debris from inner walls and slave pistons of caliper.

(CAUTION! If brake fluid has been added, remove some from respective master cylinder reservoir before pushing slave cylinders inward.).

Use a piece of flat metal bar stock or the handle of the HDL oil filter wrench to reach and force in the slave pistons Clean pad pin and lube its "O" ring and end with silicone grease. Lift out pad into position so that its "tab" fits into the spring loaded slot in the top of the claiper. Install retainer pin part way to hold that pad. Insert inner pad to mate tab with spring slot and then insert pad oin the rest of the way. Torque the pad pin with hex socket, coat hex head with silicone grease, insert rubber plug.

All three are bout the same. I believe a complete service includes change of brake fluid and lubrication of caliper slide pins. Those two additonal brake services should be done at least every two years.

Don't break your brakes, if your brakes are broke, you might break your neck!

prs

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Freds helpful hints

Go to the how to section again under Freds helpful hints i bumped it back to the top so it will be easier for you to find, good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts