GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got new pads in the front of my 08. Are there any special things I need to do...brake hard? Not brake hard in the first XXX miles? Stuff like that.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Many Marques recommend to avoid hard braking if possible for 100 miles.

I think just normal riding would be OK, unless you’re one of those guys who thinks he’s Valentino Rossi on an Ala D’Oro.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Other than do several stops before going out on the road, I just let them break in naturally.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Just test drive the bike and make sure everything is working as it should before venturing out into busy traffic or on the open road.

Then call the test drive a “break in” and your done.
That reminds me about an incident/accident that happened to one of my co-workers when I worked at a forklift shop. We were allowed to bring our personal vehicles in on the weekend to work on them and he decided to do a brake job on his old Chevy pickup. The yard had an In entrance and an Out exit and when he finished he jumped in his truck and was showing off as he drove rather fast to the exit. Guess what the gates were closed and when he hit the brakes he had nothing, right to the floor the pedal went and he drove through the closed gates. That was the end of us being allowed to work on our personal vehicles. He didn't last long as a forklift mechanic either.:grin2::crying:

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
199 Posts
EBC addresses break-in on their packaging and website. Basically they say go out and make several very long, hard stops. But EBC pads are coated with a special break-in coating that scrubs the old pad material out of the rotors. So to answer your question if you are not using EBC pads is...I don't know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts