GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a reasonable explanation as to why EBC has one part number for the all the pads on the GL1800... while Honda has a different part number for each of the three positions? :?:

I went ahead and ordered the Honda pads from Hal, but I'm curious about this. If an aftermarket manufacturer can make it work with just one part... then why does Honda consider each position different?? :crazy:

And I'm not going to ask why Honda charges three different prices either.... :hun1:

:bow: And thanks to Hal and his group. My parts were delivered today (9:30am on a Saturday morning) via FedEx Home delivery. :yes: The poor delivery guy was driving a "Budget" rental truck. He had to get a bigger truck, since they are so busy.

:xmas1: Merry Christmas everyone :xmas1:

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
3 part# honda .vs 1 EBC

Honda has a back plate on one pad that is side specific for the front and the rear pads are thicker than the front. Thus, 3 part numbers depending on spacer plate and thickness. EBC does not contain that plate nor do they have the two thicknesses. EBC in the rear will need to be replaced more often than Honda's rear because of the thickness differences.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
DDL is only partialy correct. The EBC Pads have 2 ( TWO ) backing plated on each set of pads, your option is to remove the one that isn't needed for the position you are using them in.

With a Hack on my bike I go through a lot of Brake Pads so I prefer the EBC on the front and Honda on the rear for a $$$ per mile basis. Overall the EBC pads work and last just as long as the Honda pads for about 1/2 to 2/3 the money on the front. With the thicker Honda pad for the rear it is a toss up.

One thing I found interesting was that on my '01 the rear came with a set of the thinner front pads as OEM and they didn't last much time at all even before the Hack was added.

Jerry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts