GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new pads on the front, rear pads are ok.

Because of the linked braking system, is it recomended to change all the pads at once, or is just doing the front ok?

part 2...... what replacement pads are popular? o.e.m.?? ebc??? versah???

thanks for your input

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
People's opinions are all over the place regarding which pads for the GW1800. After reading all the reviews regarding longevity, noise, wet performance, price, I decided to stick with the OEM. More money, sure, but not that much of a difference over some. Quite a difference over others. Some of the lower price pads don't last real long, so so much for any savings.

You probably won't need to replace all at once. Generally the left front goes at about 2-to-1 over the rest.

Also the aftermarket pads are the same for left and right front while the Honda's are "different." The Honda pads are the same but the anti-rattle spring is different. It just snaps on and off if you need to cross sides.

Two important things when you change the pads:

#1: Make sure the pistons' sides are clean of debris before you press them back into the caliper bores so you don't tear up the walls and have replace calipers ($$)

#2: After you put the new pads in, work hand brake to reseat the pads against the rotors.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The front pads are going to wear faster than the rear and the front left is going to wear faster than the front right. There is no requirement to replace the rear at the same time you replace the front pads and I don't recall a requirement to replace the right front at the same time you replace the left front or vice versa. I just replaced all of the front pads and am still on the oem rear pads. No need to replace until you get down to or close to the wear indicator.

As for the pads I stayed with the OEM Honda pads. A few bucks more but they are thicker than after market and last a long time. :thumbup:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I can put some rear pads in the mail Saturday brand new OEMs for 20.00 plus shipping.

·
Registered
328 Posts
SCPO PM sent.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Fixing to repalce the pads for the first time.
What do you use to push the pistons back in?

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Flat screwdriver as prybar works just fine to push pistons back into calipers.

Versah pads.. only work well when hot. Do a bunch of twisty riding and you will love em. They kinda stink in the city or when they are not hot.

Ebc pads... tons of dust

The versah's where the first "street" pads I used that I could not over heat. I do have racing pads for longer visits to the gap though.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Fixing to repalce the pads for the first time.
What do you use to push the pistons back in?

Thanks for all the help.
Be sure to remove the cap to the brake fluid reservoir before pushing the pistons back in. If the reservoir is nearly full remove some fluid. This will prevent the reservoir from overflowing and ruining any paint or plastic parts. Also use some brake cleaner and a tooth brush to clean the pistons before pushing them back. With the cap off and clean pistons you should be able to push the pistons back in with your hands. Well that is if you have strong hands.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
You guys use brakes???:twisted:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts