GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2001 from my dealer yesterday after the ECM job.The front pads are just about done so i thought it would be a good time to grab some pads and do full freshen up etc.
The dealer gave me two sets of pads (left and right calipers) and the price came to (cdn) $262.00 tax in. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I know that this a top of the line machine,but that is outrageous. He also told me that there are no aftermarket pads yet,and his price is competitive with everyone else.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I ordered pads from Hal last night. All 3 sets for $128. US.

Aftermarket pads are available from EBC, but note that the rear ones are not as thick.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Has anyone checked to see if the rear pads will work in the front? If they do then the front brakes would last twice as long.

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
The only problem I have with the grayish/black EBC material used on their pads, is that it doesn't provide the bite that a sintered pad does in the wet. Some may say this may be a good thing though as it makes it harder to lock up a wheel in the wet, but I don't like the feel myself.

The sintered pads disperse water on the rotor better, and seem to respond faster when wet. I guess it is all what you get used to, but I like the feel of the sintered OEM's over the EBCs, personally,

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
The EBC brake pads for the GL1800 are sintered pads. I put them on both the front and rear and they work fine.
I guess I misunderstood. I thought someone said they were Kevlar. I have used EBC Kevlar pads on other bikes, and while they work good in the dry, they aren't as good as a Sintered Metal pad in the wet.

If the EBC pads are Sintered Metal and are cheaper than OEM, then they are probably a good choice.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Robert Schilling said:
I just drag my foot...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yabadabadoo!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts