GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Pad wear varies on how you use them. Aggressive braking or stop-and-go riding will wear them quicker.
The fronts on my 07 ABS wing seem to go about 15,000 for the left caliper. Double that for the right.About 30,000 for the rear. OEM only.

That $160: Was that installed? For both front sets? Dealers are known to gouge on prices, but that is outrageous.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
OMG! That is a rip off. I just replaced my front/rear at 29k...front needed replacing. Rear could go another 10k I think.

OMG! Dealer ripoff! Check out #1 Powersports Dealer | Babbitt's in West MI | New & Used for parts. Front & rear about $115.
i got 29k out of my front pads. But I have an F6B and always ride solo, so I’d expect a lighter bike to have less wear.
Ride safe!!
Yea with my old wing, I would get around 30k miles with the OEM pads...but this new wing is a different animal...maybe 20k with the OEM front brake pads...but the brakes are better than those on the old wing too...yea, I always try to support my local dealer with OEM parts...but they got me this time around with the front brake pads.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
That $160: Was that installed? For both front sets? Dealers are known to gouge on prices, but that is outrageous.
The 160 was what my dealer charged just for the pads...both sides.

I could had saved around 40 dollars if I ordered online...but the OEM brake pads for this new wing are expensive no matter where you buy them from.

·
Registered
992 Posts
It makes no sense that these puny motorcycle pads cost more than automotive pads which are more than 3X bigger.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It makes no sense that these puny motorcycle pads cost more than automotive pads which are more than 3X bigger.
Add the word "motorcycle" to any part and the cost goes up exponentially...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just did my first front brake pads and brake fluid change on my tour with the help of Fred's video's. I have just over 18k on it and its a good thing I didn't wait any longer, the left bottom pads were almost completely gone. I've never done a brake job before but Fred's video makes it so easy. Next task is the rear brakes when I replace the rear tire in a couple more thousand miles.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I personally believe the holes in the rotors have a lot to do with the pads wearing down so fast. Years ago when the rotors were just a flat disk with no holes - the pads lasted forever.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I personally believe the holes in the rotors have a lot to do with the pads wearing down so fast. Years ago when the rotors were just a flat disk with no holes - the pads lasted forever.
Here are a couple of reasons:
The first is heat. When the brake pad grabs the rotor, it creates friction, which creates heat. If that heat can't escape, it leads to brake fade, which reduces the brakes' stopping power.

The last reason is water. If a car drives through a puddle, a carwash or even a rainstorm, the brake rotors can get wet. A wet brake rotor is slippery and difficult for the brake pads to grab. Having drilled holes on a brake rotor makes it easy for heat and water to be quickly moved away from the rotor surface, keeping the brake performance strong.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I remember back in the late 70's my friends and I would drill holes in the rotors..mainly because we thought it looked so cool and the racing bikes of the time had them..it wasnt long after that the factorys started to do it.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I have DCT and replaced pad at 20900 miles. Curious how the non DCT's are holding up.
Replaced the front pads at 15k miles and thought they would have make it to 20k miles..but I didnt want to be doing alot of inspecting and worrying about the rotors...glad to see you made 20k miles

41 - 52 of 52 Posts