GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone posted not long ago they had to change rotors because the pads had worn out at about 20,000 miles and made a groove. Is that normal wear for Beake Pads? What is the average with very little hill riding?

·
Registered
636 Posts
It depends on what king of riding you do. If it's average then over 30K miles is normal. If mostly city driving then 20K miles may be normal. A friend came to me to help him change his pads at 46K miles and all we did was swap the pads on the right and left calipers. His rear pads had about 4mm left.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
RedStreak said:
Someone posted not long ago they had to change rotors because the pads had worn out at about 20,000 miles and made a groove. Is that normal wear for Beake Pads? What is the average with very little hill riding?
That doesn't seem "normal" to me. Possibly that person was hard braking all the time?

I just replaced my pads at 38k miles - my riding style is "average" - sometimes aggressive, most times not. I do coast a lot and slow gradually with the brakes when lights turn red instead of continuing to motor and then hitting the brakes harder. The left fronts were the thinnest at about 0.5 mm above the wear grooves. The right fronts were a little thicker. The rears still had some life left. Now that I know how I'm braking with this bike I'm going to start using the rear a little bit more than I have been, although with linked brakes, I'm not sure if that will even out the wear.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ditto on what the Wanderer said. I just changed mine at 42,000 and they pretty much looked like his. They are a snap to change but very pricey(Honda Pads). The bike stops great now.
P.S. Nice bike Wanderer

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I just changed mine for the second time at 83,500 miles. There was still a comfortable amount of pad left. I don't remember when I changed the first set (I usually make notes of this stuff! :oops: ) but it was somewhere close to 40k.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Personally I would not change the rotors just because there was a groove in them. The new pads will last "almost" as long, and will wear the groove back to normal. And I cannot tell any difference in braking with a scored disk vs a non-scored disk.

I would replace the rotors if I could feel pulsing at the brake lever (and in fact did just that on my Silverado last month)

I did replace one disk on my 84 Venture (similar linked setup to the wing). One of the disks fell below spec at around 200,000km, and I was able to swap it out with an almost new disk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts