GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a set of brake pads from Hal, the ones from Emgo. Man is the pad material thin on these. I think it is thinner than whats left on the originals I am replacing. Has anyone else used these. Is it just harder stuff that will last as long. Does it scratch the rotors.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I would imagine it is a very hard compound. PM Max at Traxxion and ask him his thoughts. He knows alot about the different brake pads out there.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I just put a set on my front last week, and thought the same thing. If you find somthing out pass it on.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
pads

I also bought a set but never installed them they were so thin I went with OEM.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I'm thinking to. It will be difficult to tell when they need changing. Listen for the scraping noise I guess.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
That there scraping noise you will hear will be metal coming off the rotor....

·
Registered
428 Posts
Brake Pads

Yes, I just received a set of the Emgo's from HAL and I agree, they look pretty thin.

I think I will wait to put them on and see what you guys say.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha... I think we are all waiting to see what the other guys going to do.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Will someone put them on so we will know what to do.

Inquiring minds want to know.

:roll:

·
Registered
39 Posts
OEM pads

I use OEM pads only. Have worked well for me for 180k plus miles on 1800's. Usually 40 k on front, 60 k on rear pads. :D

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I went ahead and replaced the left front as they were in real bad shape??? The right was only about 1 mm off of original, and still in good shape. Having a Trike I don't use the Front brakes that much at all. The link system applies the left front also with the rear. I don't know if they had ever been changed or not before I bought it as a Trike. I have put a little over 20 K on it the time that I have had it. The clock is at 43 K now, so I am assuming that they haven't been replaced in the past life. I was able to get a short and cold test ride in Thursday, and of course it is way to soon to tell how they will last but it stops much better than it did that I do know. I wouldn't think that Hal would be offering them if they weren't of at least some quality.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts