GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install an after-market rear brake pedal. Do I remember something on this forum that the shaft it's on "retracts" when the pedal is off and needing to be supported from the back? Does getting to "the back" mean removing the exhaust cover and/or the exhaust?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Almost had a heart attack when I saw my '03 brake pedal shaft retract when I was putting an aftermarked pedal on. No longer have the '03 and we're talking memory from 6 yrs ago, so sorry I can't be more specific, but . . .

I do remember that I was able to fish around with fingers somehow (I think behind the cover & without having to remove anything at all) and simply pop it back out or hold it in place as I inserted the new brake pedal onto the splined shaft. It's really no big issue at all.

Can't recall whether or not the threads on the brake pedal clamp bolt actually engage the splines on the shaft or not. If, stress IF they do, COMPLETELY REMOVE the clamp bolt from the pedal arm before you insert the pedal onto the splined shaft, then thread the bolt in and tighten it down after you've made sure the pedal's footpad is at the correct height you want.

Before you remove stock OEM pedal, consider "feeling around" with fingers (or a mirror on floor or face under bike while up on centerstand) while you're push-pulling the stock pedal and shaft assembly in-out. If I recall correctly you should be able to see or feel the inner "hidden" portion of the mounting shaft, or whatever it connects to at its inner end. If you can see the "hidden" portion of shaft you may be able to hold it in place to prevent any retractions if there's enough access room to clamp the shaft with a pair of locking medical-type tweezer forceps or perhaps a pair of thin needle-nose type vice-grip pliers. Or you might even be able to hold the shaft in place to prevent any retraction simply by pressing firmly against it with fingers of one hand as you insert pedal onto shaft with the other hand.

All I remember (clearly) is that once the "heart attack" abated I had no problems at all mounting the new pedal, so . . . don't sweat it.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 4eva - just the info I need! This board comes thru again.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx, Rocky. That must be a pic of a brand-new pedal. My 03 had that pedal on it when I bought the bike in 05. I now have an 05 and am considering that pedal, BUT, I think I replaced the little rubber pads 3 times in 60k miles. Never could get them to stick. Of course, Kury wants seven bucks plus shipping for replacements. Not that I'm cheap or anything.........;)

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thanx, Rocky. That must be a pic of a brand-new pedal. My 03 had that pedal on it when I bought the bike in 05. I now have an 05 and am considering that pedal, BUT, I think I replaced the little rubber pads 3 times in 60k miles. Never could get them to stick. Of course, Kury wants seven bucks plus shipping for replacements. Not that I'm cheap or anything.........;)

Smitty.my pads are off now because one fell off then a second the next day..
So I pulled the other off.
Last year they were $6.95 a set today they are $7.99..I'm not cheap either,but when I put on the brake pedal I noticed it was higher than the stock pedal.
You can't adjust the pedal itself because of the serrated spline it goes on is either to high or to low other then the stock setting..
So I just left them off until I came up with another idea..

I wanted the brake pedal to match my ISO mini boards was the reason I bought the pedal in the first place,but was disappointed with the pads falling off.
I left mine off for a year and just cleaned out the remaining glue.it looks pretty good as it was.

But seeing I can't leave well enough alone.I have a new set of pads ordered right now.
Only I'm going to get what I wanted in the first place.

This time I'm going to take my belt sander to the bottom of them so that they sit flush in the pedal,not raised as they were.

I'll gorilla glue them in,This way they will match my mini boards and not stick up causing me to raise my foot to apply the brake..And seeing that they will be flush now,there shouldn't be anymore issue of my boot lifting them off the pedal!

I was going to make a set out of an old mud flap,but I'll be damed if I can find my old flap when I need it..sakes.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a good idea. Be sure not to sand your fingerprints off while you're sanding the pads down.:shock:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I imagine Gorilla Glue would do the trick for keeping the rubber pads in place.

Surprisingly, when I was having the same problem of pads coming off, a little schmear of black RTV silicone gasket sealant on the underside of pads did the tirck for me and worked for years thereafter.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I used a steel washer in the slot and used the bolt to jack against the washer to loosen up the shaft fit. Went right on with just a little pressure holding the shaft in place.

Good luck.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If the shaft does slide out I use a 10" long screwdriver from the
other side, and push the shaft back in place. Works for me.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I just installed an AMA brand brake pedal. I was having the same problem with the shaft sliding back. I ended up putting a little terminal grease around the splines and the pedal just slid right on perfectly. I also tried to adjust the heigth of the pedal and found the same as Rocky - it was either to high or to low - had to use the stock setting.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
I imagine Gorilla Glue would do the trick for keeping the rubber pads in place.
nope, been there done that ...

I gave up after three sets...
Mine is now wrapped with black electrical tape.
... when people ask about the tape I get to
tell them how "good" (not) Kury stuff is ....

... it's just crap ...

Dennis

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts