GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on my way back from Alaska last week on my 2001 Wing, I started feeling a "bumping" whenever I applied the brake pedal. It feels like maybe 1 "bump" per revolution. When I got to my Nephew's house in Mt. Vernon, Washington, I checked the brake pads and the front pads were worn out. One had just barely gotten down to metal, but hadn't damaged the rotor. I bought new OEM pads from the Honda dealer and installed the front ones in Washington. The rears didn't look bad. I rode the bike from Washington back to Salt Lake City, Utah and I could still feel the bumping when I applied the brakes. I'm now back home in Tennessee and put the rear brake pads on even though they weren't worn out. Does anyone have an idea what the bumping might be that I'm feeling when stopping? It doesn't seem to do it as badly when I use only the front brakes?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Bent rotor or rotor has uneven wear. I have had this occur on trucks with rear disk brakes. Usually felt in the brake peddle as well as the seat of your pants. You can take a dial caliper or micrometer and measure the thickness in several places on the rotor and see if there is a difference. I have never heard of having these rotors turned like on a car or truck so you might have to buy new ones. Rear rotors are cheap at trike shops. Fronts are kinda pricey.

·
Registered
21,094 Posts
kinda sounds like one or more of the brake pads are not properly hooked into the retainer clip at the top of the caliper, when that happens the pad can hit the rivets or whatever holds the rotor in place and thats probably the noise u are hearing-feeling, its an easy mistake to make or fix

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Cheap dial indicator. Free actually. Just put it on the rotor instead. Now, if it's a minor difference, this won't find it, but if you have a tweaked rotor, you will see it.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
:thumbup: I like your idea. I think I would use a piece of coat hanger wire rather than a stick for greater "precision".

Cheap dial indicator. Free actually. Just put it on the rotor instead. Now, if it's a minor difference, this won't find it, but if you have a tweaked rotor, you will see it.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Bad rear rotor as it started before you installed anything and continued with new pads.

Rotor is loose, warped, bad, worn, something.

By the way, wiggle the rear tire, make sure the lug nuts are tight.

Could be the caliper sticking and not freely sliding also.

·
Vendor
18,425 Posts
Do like the pix show and to the rotor too. Maybe you really have a bent wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts