GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody ever see this,i have an 01 with 80,000 miles on her,went to replace the front brake pads saturday and the clip that sits in the top of the caliper for the brake pads to slide on wore through and half of it was missing,had to order so ill hafta wait to reassemble.just wondered if anyone else had this happen.OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Are talking about the spring? That may be a part common to many applications and available at your delaer.

prs

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not the spring

no the spring sits in the saddle of the caliper,this is a clip that snaps into the top of the caliper,i have it ordered from the dealer.i am just wondering how many people have had this happen,and if everyone knows that clip is there,you could reinstall the pads without it if u didnt know it belonged there and had just fallen out like half of mine did from wear.OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Pads

I think it is a anti rattle pad that goes between the pads and caliper pistons.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no that is there,this clip sits in the top of the caliper and the top of the brake pad rides against it and slides side to side rubbing along this clip.OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
I suspect you are talking about the clip that you can see in the top of this photo. It acts as a guide for the ear on the brake shoes to slide in.

I have never heard of one wearing out. My guess is that it somehow got out of position, which caused abnormal wear.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THATS IT

U GOT IT FRED,THATS THE CLIP,AND U MAY BE RIGHT,IT MAY HAVE CAME OUT OF PLACE,SO I GUESS I WONT WORRY,ILL JUST REPLACE IT AND RIDE HER ANOTHER 80,000.OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Fred ... you are getting better with that camera ... that is ONE SHARP PHOTO !!!

Thanks for your input ... I think you straightened out the conversation ... :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

·
Registered
626 Posts
I work on these things daily, I have never seen one broken or worn in any way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts