GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Open question to all. I just had the brake recall done and picked it up last night. Today I took it for a ride and could not use the cruise....it was working no problem the day before this recall process. When I turned on cruise today it turned on as usual....but it would not set at any speed. I tried working the hand brake lever by pulling in and pushing out to make sure it wasn't a sticking lever...again it was working perfectly the day before and all other times I used cruise. I also tried repeatedly applying the foot brake and also used my toe to pull it all the way to the top (it was already at the top position).

Fred Harris and techdude, I hope you read this because I see on someone else's post that you have read the procedure the mechanic follows to complete the recall service and would know what part of that procedure would directly and negatively affect the operation of the cruise control. I will be on the phone with the dealer tomorrow to discuss this, but I'm sure they'll deflect the cause to some other "broken" switch or component and say it had nothing to do with their repair. I don't believe I should have to pay for any repair for this as it was working just great before the repair.

Allen

·
Vendor
20,088 Posts
... would know what part of that procedure would directly and negatively affect the operation of the cruise control. I will be on the phone with the dealer tomorrow to discuss this, but I'm sure they'll deflect the cause to some other "broken" switch or component and say it had nothing to do with their repair. I don't believe I should have to pay for any repair for this as it was working just great before the repair.Allen
The recall probably has nothing to do with your CC not working. Does you CC light come on and just not set ??? If so, try pushing out on both front levers. In most cases, a CC not setting problems has to do with worn lever parts, or worn lever bushings, or worn pivot pins, or aftermarket levers that are to heavy to return correctly, or lever switches going bad.

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
They replaced the rear master cylinder which includes remove and (properly) reinstall the cruise cancel switch. Are your brake lights working or maybe staying on all the time now?

Text Font Technology

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your thoughts Greg. Are you saying that removing the foot pedal from the frame ...and then reassembling would have nothing to do with the cruise not working. It was working fine before. I do believe that applying the foot brake pedal will disengage the cruise control so there obviously must be a switch that might have been messed with. Just my idea here.

Allen

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They replaced the rear master cylinder which includes remove and (properly) reinstall the cruise cancel switch. Are your brake lights working or maybe staying on all the time now?

View attachment 74043

I just walked out to the shed to check the brake lights...they are working fine with both hand and foot brake.....both on and off. Is there any fuse on that set switch?

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
I just walked out to the shed to check the brake lights...they are working fine with both hand and foot brake.....both on and off. Is there any fuse on that set switch?
I doubt you have a fuse blown because the power light for your cruise control lights up. Below is a screen shot of the instructions for the reinstall. The small curved arm off the master cylinder rests on two switches mounted side-by-side, one for brake lights and the other for cruise cancel. When You Press the foot pedal, the arm raises up off those switches. I would guess they set the bracket a hair too low, turning off the brake lights but not tripping the other to allow cruise to set. Try loosening the two mounting screws and push the bracket up a little higher.

Font Auto part

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I doubt you have a fuse blown because the power light for your cruise control lights up. Below is a screen shot of the instructions for the reinstall. The small curved arm off the master cylinder rests on two switches mounted side-by-side, one for brake lights and the other for cruise cancel. When You Press the foot pedal, the arm raises up off those switches. I would guess they set the bracket a hair too low, turning off the brake lights but not tripping the other to allow cruise to set. Try loosening the two mounting screws and push the bracket up a little higher.

View attachment 74045

Allen - I agree with Ironhorse1800 that your problem is with the switch mount being a little off. Now get down there on the floor with your mice and have a look!

Reactions: NCBirdMan

·
Registered
7,069 Posts

View attachment 74045

Allen - I agree with Ironhorse1800 that your problem is with the switch mount being a little off. Now get down there on the floor with your mice and have a look!
Agree with both of these guys that the cause is most likely that second switch. If you are comfortable working on your own bike, you can probably trace this down and fix it.

If not, or if you just don't want to bother, just take it back in with the informed knowledge that they definitely would have had to remove / replace at least one component of the cruise system when doing the recall and have the dealer fix it.

·
Banned
403 Posts
Open question to all. I just had the brake recall done and picked it up last night. Today I took it for a ride and could not use the cruise....it was working no problem the day before this recall process. When I turned on cruise today it turned on as usual....but it would not set at any speed. I tried working the hand brake lever by pulling in and pushing out to make sure it wasn't a sticking lever...again it was working perfectly the day before and all other times I used cruise. I also tried repeatedly applying the foot brake and also used my toe to pull it all the way to the top (it was already at the top position).

Fred Harris and techdude, I hope you read this because I see on someone else's post that you have read the procedure the mechanic follows to complete the recall service and would know what part of that procedure would directly and negatively affect the operation of the cruise control. I will be on the phone with the dealer tomorrow to discuss this, but I'm sure they'll deflect the cause to some other "broken" switch or component and say it had nothing to do with their repair. I don't believe I should have to pay for any repair for this as it was working just great before the repair.

Allen
The recall probably has nothing to do with your CC not working. Does you CC light come on and just not set ??? If so, try pushing out on both front levers. In most cases, a CC not setting problems has to do with worn lever parts, or worn lever bushings, or worn pivot pins, or aftermarket levers that are to heavy to return correctly, or lever switches going bad.

You could of saved some credibility issue here, Had you read what "roadrunner" posted more clearly?.
I would hope that you more than anyone else as a bike repair shop owner/operator should know what is involved in the Honda Brake Recall to understand that the controlling brake light/cruise shut off switch is attached to the rear master cylinder that is activated/canceled by the switch plate that the dealer didn't readjust properly when they did the Honda Brake recall on his bike.

Roadrunner you were given good advice by the "other posters". Do as you thought and return the bike to the dealer to have them readjust the switch plate on the rear master cylinder that activates the brakes and cancels the cruise control when the foot pedal is applied slightly.

Mistakes happen and they should stand behind there work.
I'd do this first. and see if they will take care of it?, most shops would. if not call Honda customer service to file a complaint based on what you said in your OP to get the dealer to fix their mistake.

Let us know if the dealer resolved this issue for you?.

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
If you do tinker with the switch adjustment, recheck that your brake lights still activate off the foot pedal too! Shouldn't be a problem, but check it better than they apparently did.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Larry last night when I went to the shed to see about the brake lights I looked into the mouse bucket and found two more down inside waiting for me to carry them back home to the neighbors shed....at least they are going back to the neighbors with a full belly lol.

Ironhorse1800
"I doubt you have a fuse blown because the power light for your cruise control lights up. Below is a screen shot of the instructions for the reinstall. The small curved arm off the master cylinder rests on two switches mounted side-by-side, one for brake lights and the other for cruise cancel. When You Press the foot pedal, the arm raises up off those switches. I would guess they set the bracket a hair too low, turning off the brake lights but not tripping the other to allow cruise to set. Try loosening the two mounting screws and push the bracket up a little higher.

Thanks....I will be bringing it down at 2pm for them to look at it

Allen

·
Vendor
20,088 Posts

Thanks....I will be bringing it down at 2pm for them to look at it

Allen
Any answer on the simple stuff from post #2 ???

If your CC light come, did you try pushing out on both front levers ... clutch lever too ???

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any answer on the simple stuff from post #2 ???

If your CC light come, did you try pushing out on both front levers ... clutch lever too ???
Although I didn't say this in the first post, and should have noted it, I actually did push both the hand brake and clutch levers all the way forward and still no cruise "set"... I have the stock levers and damn near ran over the rumble strips as I was leaning up over the handlebars trying to read the adjustment wheels to see if they had changed that setting....I run the wheel adjustment setting at 1 on the clutch lever and 2 on the brake lever....I have just recently checked the clutch bushing and picked up a new one

Allen

·
Registered
103 Posts
You could of saved some credibility issue here, Had you read what "roadrunner" posted more clearly?.
I would hope that you more than anyone else as a bike repair shop owner/operator should know what is involved in the Honda Brake Recall to understand that the controlling brake light/cruise shut off switch is attached to the rear master cylinder that is activated/canceled by the switch plate that the dealer didn't readjust properly when they did the Honda Brake recall on his bike.

Roadrunner you were given good advice by the "other posters". Do as you thought and return the bike to the dealer to have them readjust the switch plate on the rear master cylinder that activates the brakes and cancels the cruise control when the foot pedal is applied slightly.

Mistakes happen and they should stand behind there work.
I'd do this first. and see if they will take care of it?, most shops would. if not call Honda customer service to file a complaint based on what you said in your OP to get the dealer to fix their mistake.

Let us know if the dealer resolved this issue for you?.
Aw come on Rocky, why don't you leave the man alone.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cruise control working now...just a small adjustment as was suggested and it's working now...Thanks for all replies

Allen

·
Registered
270 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me. When left the shop I tested brake lights etc to make sure all was well and brake lights worked fine. When I got on the road I tried the cruise and it wouldn't engage. Turned around and they were like "what". We didn't mess with cruise. Anyway they take it in back and 5 minutes later it is fixed - switch wasn't adjusted properly. I would suggest after having this done to try the cruise and brake lights as soon as you can prior to leaving the shop.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Same exact thing happened to me. When left the shop I tested brake lights etc to make sure all was well and brake lights worked fine. When I got on the road I tried the cruise and it wouldn't engage. Turned around and they were like "what". We didn't mess with cruise. Anyway they take it in back and 5 minutes later it is fixed - switch wasn't adjusted properly. I would suggest after having this done to try the cruise and brake lights as soon as you can prior to leaving the shop.
Unfortunately, you can check the brake lights but you can't check the cruise to check if it's working until after you leave and actually try to check the cruise and set buttons as it has to be up to a speed before it will set. As it was, it was just bare minutes before closing when the mechanic finished and I took the bike from the shop and he didn't test ride it...don't blame him really it was cold and raining that evening at that time and I know the owner he won't pay for the extra time after the service was done (overtime). So the repair was done...I'm happy and the mechanic told me a lesson learned for the next brake recall jobs. He told me he had set the bracket up to the switches and assumed because the brake switch was dead on right that the cruise switch was good also....said that won't happen again so we both went home today with a better feeling about the repair.

Allen

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.