GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2004 Goldwing Trike and know that when you apply the front brake you hear the constant "Shoosh" sound (lol, don't know to describe it) as the brake is applied.

However, I notice when I ride down the road at slow speeds I hear the same sound on a "repeat" cycle. So, shoosh, shoosh, shoosh as the wheel goes around. Hopefully that makes sense and curious if this is normal brake sound or if I have a bent rotor? The brake pads were just changed about 2 weeks ago.

Also have a nice repeating squeak from what appears as the back brakes as I ride down the road, but those pads all look good. Maybe a wheel bearing or something? Sorry, but I am as mechanically declined as they come. Thanks for any help.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
When the brakes are released and there is no longer any hydraulic pressure being applied the pads are no longer clamping down on the rotor. There really is nothing that pushes the pads back away from the rotor. The pads are mounted in a two piece caliper and the two pieces need to be able to freely slide together as the brakes are applied and then to slide ever so slightly back as the brakes are released.

Here are some potential causes of the shoosh:
1 - A slight bit of rust can appear on the surface of the rotor, especially if the bike gets to sit for a couple of days between rides. Listen to hear if the sound disappears after a long day's ride.
2 - The pads are new and still need to be worn in a bit. I'd give it more miles and more braking to see if the shooshing sound disappears.
3 - A sightly warped rotor. IMHO not a big deal and I'd live with it.
4 - Dirt or corrosion on the slide pins are hindering the brakes from fully releasing. This is a more serious issue that can cause premature and/or uneven brake pad wear and/or overheating of the rotor. Jack up the front end of the bike so that the front tire is just far enough off the ground not to touch the ground. Spin the tire. It should turn freely. Apply the front brake and release and then the rear brake and release. The tire should again turn freely when the brakes are released. If the tire turns freely, this most likely is not the cause. If the tire doesn't turn freely, you should have the brakes checked by a competent person.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
You say the pads wee replaced about 2 weeks ago. Did the brakes do this prior to the pad replacement?
If no, then I think you know where to look and I would inspect the installation. Were slides and calipers cleaned properly?
What brand pads were installed?

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Who did the replacement of the pads you or other?? the pad replacement on a Goldwing has to be done exactly as specified in the manual AND it is a TOTALLY different process than on any other M/C or car!

Was the front wheel removed in the process?? The mounting of the front wheel is a TOTALLY different process than on any other M/C or car! No matter what all the Tech's do or tell you, if it is not done by the HONDA GOLDWING process you will have a problem or several problems!! You must know and under stand this procedure or it will become a problem right away or down the road. There is a gauge in the tool kit that must be used to insure that the caliper ends up in the exact right spot. RIDE SAFE!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have had that sound of whoosh whoosh when I tried aftermarket brake pads. EBC pads IIRC. Never did it with the OEM pads and once I switched back to OEM, the sound was gone.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Who did the replacement of the pads you or other?? the pad replacement on a Goldwing has to be done exactly as specified in the manual AND it is a TOTALLY different process than on any other M/C or car!

Was the front wheel removed in the process?? The mounting of the front wheel is a TOTALLY different process than on any other M/C or car! No matter what all the Tech's do or tell you, if it is not done by the HONDA GOLDWING process you will have a problem or several problems!! You must know and under stand this procedure or it will become a problem right away or down the road. There is a gauge in the tool kit that must be used to insure that the caliper ends up in the exact right spot. RIDE SAFE!!!!!!
A mechanic performing service on a Goldwing or any vehicle would be wise to consult the manufacturer's service manual. Installing brake pads and the front wheel even on a Goldwing is not complicated. I've never used the gauge you refer to and I've never had any problems with my front brakes.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
However, I notice when I ride down the road at slow speeds I hear the same sound on a "repeat" cycle. So, shoosh, shoosh, shoosh as the wheel goes around. Hopefully that makes sense and curious if this is normal brake sound or if I have a bent rotor?
Was the shoosh there prior to having new pads installed ???

Do you have Centra Matics ???

·
Registered
869 Posts
Was the shoosh there prior to having new pads installed ???

Do you have Centra Matics ???
Good catch Greg - my Centramatics make that noise when turning slowly...

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Good catch Greg - my Centramatics make that noise when turning slowly...
They can also close up the distance between the left caliper bracket and the rotor causing the rotor to rub.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help. I will do the lifting of the front end to test. Might be just a quick troubleshoot.
The sound was there before I took it in to my mechanic. A lot of the squealing I heard at first was coming from the front end. But now it is the swoosh sound. I do not run Centramatics, and it could be a slightly warped rotor - not worth the cost to replace?

I told my guys at the repair shop (which they have always done a great job for me) that when I heard a squeak in the back end, it would disappear upon using the back brake but would start again when I let up. They wanted to do more looking (under the hood..lol) on the backside but I couldn't afford anymore labor cost at the moment.

I know this is a different issue than the front end stuff, but when I have the Trike just sitting still and I rock it back and forth, I get the squeak. Could this be bearings, loose wheel, just back brakes screwy? Again, many thanks for all of your help.

Bruce

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Brakes are pretty important! If you are mechanically disinclined, then get that bike into the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. Pay the man.

prs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts