GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing rubbing from the front, so when I pulled the brakes, the right side was great and had plenty of pad left. The left side however, was quite a bit thinner. My big concern was the inner pad had extremely uneven wear. It was down to metal on the "top" side. I greased up the pistons and put new pads on and I believe it is doing the same thing. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Roger

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
The left front pads do wear faster than the right front. There is no problem.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Linked brake system is the key here.
If you use your brake pedal more than the hand brake, you will wear the left front pads quicker.
Using the brake pedal activates the 2 outer pistons on the left front caliper, the center piston on the right front caliper and the 2 outer pistons on the rear caliper.
So, if you are a "heavy" foot brake user, it is perfectly normal for the left front pads to wear considerably more than the others.
Having said all that-I to am concerned w/the uneven wear of the inner pad on the left front. While I have seen more wear on the inner pads, I have not seen excessive uneven wear.
In this case, I might be inclined to take the used pads and the bike to a good tech for a review.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have been hearing rubbing from the front, so when I pulled the brakes, the right side was great and had plenty of pad left. The left side however, was quite a bit thinner. My big concern was the inner pad had extremely uneven wear. It was down to metal on the "top" side. I greased up the pistons and put new pads on and I believe it is doing the same thing. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Roger
It is common for the inner left pad to wear much faster. It is the nature of the design.

But uneven wear is not common. I would suspect that a piston actuator in that caliper is not pushing out evenly. Sticking and so on.

Take that caliper apart, put new seals (o rings) on the pistons, clean well and use proper brake grease on the piston seals.
As for using grease on the outside of the pistons, do not do that. All that does is collect dirt, sand, and tends to try to work that back into the caliper and cause it to start sticking.

Clean is good, grease on the part of the pistons that are exposed is not. Grease on the seals is good.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Agree that the left pads wearing more quickly is typical. Disagree that uneven wear is atypical. The leading edge of the pads, the top most sections, will wear more quickly. We just don't use our brakes in reverse as much. How much assymetry is typical? Its gonna vary. I driver who habitually applies both brakes evenly will get minimal assymetry, where as a driver who rides around with the foot resting on he peddle will get quite a skewed wear pattern.

prs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts