GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike is an 05 ABS with 25000 miles. I have stock brake pads. Under normal use after coming to a stop there is a strong smell of brake pads. Is this normal.? There is nothing scraping while riding.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
That sounds kinda strange, usually the only time you smell any brake pads is when they have been overused or after a highspeed emergency type stop. Just a guess here but maybe a calipers piston has failed and it is making the pads rub or drag all the time. Maybe you should put it up on a lift and spin the wheels to see if they freewheel equally or not. Terry

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
tvbveb said:
That sounds kinda strange, usually the only time you smell any brake pads is when they have been overused or after a highspeed emergency type stop. Just a guess here but maybe a calipers piston has failed and it is making the pads rub or drag all the time. Maybe you should put it up on a lift and spin the wheels to see if they freewheel equally or not. Terry
That is exactly what I was thinking. The only thing I could add is to make sure you are not riding the rear brake with your foot.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
stick405 said:
The bike is an 05 ABS with 25000 miles. I have stock brake pads. Under normal use after coming to a stop there is a strong smell of brake pads. Is this normal.? There is nothing scraping while riding.[/quo

Hello Do you have caliper covers??? (rotor covers) I had them on my 2001 & my front pads smoked/stunk until I took them off (quickly)......chuck

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
What's a rotor cover...appreciate a pic!

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
It is a shiny chrome cover for the front brakes, All the Chromies have em !! :lol:

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I prefer my brakes covered with road grime, and clean rainfall dirt...chrome rusts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The bike is an 05 ABS with 25000 miles. I have stock brake pads. Under normal use after coming to a stop there is a strong smell of brake pads. Is this normal.? There is nothing scraping while riding.
If it just started it's possible that you have a caliper starting to hang up. Check to see which one of the calipers is causing the smell. It's probably getting hotter than the others also.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Ed Kruse said:
If it just started it's possible that you have a caliper starting to hang up. Check to see which one of the calipers is causing the smell. It's probably getting hotter than the others also.
I am open for suggestions on how a guy should go about testing the difference in temperature between the rotors. I learned at a very early age not to use the tip of my index finger. :oops:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Ed Kruse said:
It's probably getting hotter than the others also.
Good advice. That's the first thing I'd check... the temp of the rotors. BTW, do it like you're checking an iron - lick your finger first!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Raytek makes some really nice/inexpensive infrared temp guns. If you are friendly with someone in the auto repair or possibly home heating business, they may have one. I use one regularly at my shop to check rotor temps after test driving a brake job. I don't know what temps are "normal" with the Goldwings' brakes, but I'd think a quick check with a temp gun would show if one was substantially out of whack. Good Luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts