GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today while riding my rear brake would intermittly vibrate. No front vibration. If I let up and reapplied the brake no vibration would occur ...suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Glazed Rotor?
Worn pads?
Pad pin gone, pad not seated properly
Small leak on a piston seal?

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
It is a known issue, but I am unaware of proof positive of just what the cause is. My personal thin ice foundation theory is that the proportioning valve in the brake hydraulic line is vibrating in and out of function due to heat. I have also wondered about the rear master cylinder adjustable link being out of spec, too long. The problem seems not to occur if the front brake is applied at the same time.

prs

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Mine has done that every summer since new. I just push a little harder on the brake petal and it quits.

·
Vendor
17,783 Posts
Certainly do a visual brake inspections and make sure your pads and rotors are clean.

What you are experiancing many do. It is caused from not operating your brakes correctly. We need to use both brakes to stop a Wing. Using the rear only in hot weather can cause what you felt.

Here is how my owners manual states it:

"To slow or stop, apply the brake lever and brake pedal smoothly, while
downshifting to match your speed.

Gradually increase braking as you feel the brakes slowing your speed. The
increase in engine compression from downshifting will help slow your
motorcycle."

If it does it while you are operating it as described above, then you have another problem.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If you do some searches, you will see that it has been identified as primarily a hot weather related item. As noted above, it is a well documented problem that Honda has not come with a fix for or pin down the cause.

I recall a post/thrhead by Fred H. that a lot of suggestions. I do remember that some people were able to get their rear brake rotors, calipers etc replaced under warranty...but I'm not sure that solved the problem.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyone suggestions...I am going to check out the brakes as soon as I can. This only happens when it is hot >95....

This is one of the reasons I like this board...Ya'll are helpful. Thanks again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
brakes

2008 GL1800 ABS 19K

I just experienced the rear brake shimmy everyone here is describing. Found this thread on my first search. Wow.

Anyway, at the end of a long ride (300 miles) mostly twistys with speeds averaging 40-50 mph ... I started feeling a very significant vibration when I applied the rear brake. The temp was around 85F. Yes, I use both brakes and yes I ride very aggressive. For the last 15-20 miles I simply used the front brake and when I tested the rear brake at the end of the day the vibration was gone.

It has been a very hot summer here in the south east. I have ridden long trips in temps hovering in the upper 90's and have never experienced this type of issue before.

This afternoon I'm planning on dropping the caliper, inspecting the brakes and giving it a good cleaning. If I find anything specific I will certainly post the results here.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
:agree::agree::agree:

I too have this intermittenten "event".
Especially in higher temps and moderate riding in twisties.
I've learned to down shift and use the front brake more.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had that too... Tried a set of Kevlar pads and never had it occur again... Bad thing is the Kevlar pads did not work (at all) in the rain... Went back to OEM's and EBC double H's and the vibration returned... It has to do wiht the pad material and the brake configuration (linked)... I'll bet a guy with time in interest could come up with a fix for it... Maybe a change in the proportioning valve settings...

·
Registered
64 Posts
brake pads

I took my rear brake pads out to clean and inspect. Here is what I found. Can anyone tell me why the brake pad on the left has bar marks and the pad on the right has round marks? Yes I know the round marks are from the brake pistons.

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
sometimes when you use breaks lighly there will be an uneven transfer of materials to and from the rotor to the pads, so you should do some firm braking from time to time to even out the transfer.

it has worked for me on several occasions.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Mine has done that several times, had the pads inspected and fluid changed and occassionally, it still happens.

·
Registered
242 Posts
happened to me tonight coming home from work. only 3k miles on my bike, 2 months old. was intermittent. startled me a little bit. i seem to use my back brake a little more than i probably should(percentage wise) cause i had my front wheel lock up and pop me down hard on my vtx 1800 in february on a damp morning. so i am kinda nervous about heavier front braking.

i'm sure al gore is right, global warming is most likely the cause. rick perry just calls it summer in texas. :thumbup:

dw

1 - 19 of 19 Posts