GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2008 wing and trying to locate the brake wire under the seat. Can Someone chime in as I’m installing a Backoff XP for a 3K ride today.

thanks!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm hoping someone will chime in. I have an HPNA VIIA manufacture date of 06/08. I'm attempting to connect a backoff xp to the brake circuit after returning from my trip. My 2006-2009 GL1800A service manual indicates using connector C31 but C31 is not on my 2008. C31 is listed in the ETM location on page 15-7. C31 is not in the location the photo connector on ETM page 22-15 pict 84 indicates. C21 is on the bike and page 1-70 for the 06-08 year doesn't list C31. (See Pict) I see other connectors for the NAV, etc but not C31. I did take a probe to C21 at the Grn/Red wire and it lite up when I pressed either brake but not with the XP connected.

Any ideas and which is the connector for the pin brake circuit?

Makes no sense.... BTW.. I did set the pics in order with the correct orientation but I don't know why they didn't.. View attachment 366889 View attachment 366890 View attachment 366891 View attachment 366892 View attachment 366893 View attachment 366894 View attachment 366895

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did find the C21 connector deep under the frame and covered over with many other cables. The connector was housed w/in its rubber boot but covered in grime. My electrical cleaner paid dividends. Sometimes you must be tenacious when assistance not available.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Golgwinger55,
Not sure of your status in doing your project at present but, my bike is also an '08 level II. I installed the Signal Dynamics Back-off Wig Wag years ago. It was so long ago that I can't quite remember how to tell you how to go about it but, if the pics come through, you'll see one of the main plugs under my seat, I don't know just which one it is but, it's a big one and, it goes to all the lighting and wiring at the back of the bike so, the brake light wiring is in it. And, that brake light wire is a green wire with a red stripe.

I wanted the ability to control which lights flashed and, at what time. So, what I did was this. I pulled that plug apart and, sent the one end, back under the trunk and, out the back of the bike. Then, I sat on a little stool and un-taped that whole harness. What I found was, that green wire with the red stripe, was split off, into other sections of green wire and red stripe. That is, one turns into two which, turns into four (for all the brake lights back there) I then separated all those green wires w/ red stripes. I kept track of which wire, went to which light.

Then, I soldered on extensions on to each of the four wires. I then ran those extensions along the original harness and taped them all together. Now, the plug (and extensions were stuffed back under the trunk and, back into position under the seat. Now, the extensions were attached to a junction block I mounted to the frame. And, the wires from the Wig Wag were attached to the opposite side of those brake light wires.

This is where it gets cool. By removing and re-installing those extensions on the junction block, I can alter which lights initially flash and what pattern I request. If at any time, I wish to change it, I simply remove those wires and install them in a different connection. I know, It might be hard to understand but, take a look at the pics below. I don't know if I've helped you or made things worse but, If I can help further, please ask.
Scott

P.S. I tried to upload a short video of how my lights work but, it came back and said the "file is too large for the server to process". Man that sucks 'cause I wanted you to see it.

Attachments

·
Vendor
16,014 Posts
I would have helper earlier, but didn't have one torn down for pictures, and couldn't use yours from post #1. But for others, I believe the connector you are looking for is buried further down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts