GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've broke down and bought the speed bleeders and replaced them all in the brakes (will do the clutch afterwards). Now in replacing, lost a little fluid, so emptied out the resovoir so I wouldn't drain too much fluid all over the calipers. Went well but now when I started the bleed sequence, I can't get any push through the master cylinder & through the SB to get a flow going. What am I doing wrong? :shrug:
BTW- I usually drain the bowls with a small serynge syphon and slowly refill so I start out with good fluid in only the piston and the line. Figure there is LARGE air in the system now and can't seem to get past the check valve.

Appreciate the assist......

·
Vendor
22,233 Posts
If I understand your post correct, you emptied the reservoir and then replaced the bleeder valves?

If so, you got air into the master cylinder. You'll have to "bench bleed" the master cylinder to "prime" it. It won't pump fluid till you bleed the air out of it.

12 and counting.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Fred H did it again. And thanks by the way. Did a search in Archives and after a bit of reading went back down and as he stated.....
" You will first have to bleed the master cylinder itself before you can bleed the rest of the system. You can do this by loosening the banjo bolt that attaches the two hoses to the master cyclinder while squeezing the lever, and then tighten it, and release the lever and repeat this process about 8 or 10 times. You are essentially using the banjo bolt as a bleeder valve."

Ureaka it worked and brakes are good..."Tnx"

·
Registered
546 Posts
brake bleeding

Would it not be easier to use a vacuum pump at the caliper, then, after pumping a vacuum in the pump all you have to do is fill the master cylinder and pull the trigger on the vacuum and keep the master cylinder full. Once no more aior comes out, top up the master cylinder and you got er done. I just changed all my brake fluids as well as the brake fluid in the clutch this way and it is slick. Vacuum pump is about $55 at Sears for a reasonably good one which will come in handy for other things.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Would it not be easier to use a vacuum pump at the caliper, then, after pumping a vacuum in the pump all you have to do is fill the master cylinder and pull the trigger on the vacuum and keep the master cylinder full. Once no more aior comes out, top up the master cylinder and you got er done. I just changed all my brake fluids as well as the brake fluid in the clutch this way and it is slick. Vacuum pump is about $55 at Sears for a reasonably good one which will come in handy for other things.
Around $20 @ Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Goldwings tend to trap some air where the hoses go into the MC, so bleeding at the banjo bolt makes sense. I'm still not sure why you would need to bled the whole system just to fit speedbleeders. Surely it's only a matter of quickly removing the existing nipple and replacing it with the speeder and just topping up the spoonfull of fluid you lost?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep should have, would have, but since I was 'çhanging' the fluid anyway, figured I would syphon the resorvior, like I always do, and then refill with new fluid so what's in the lines is minimal OLD fluid. When I removed the bleeder fitting, there was a run on fluid out, so I put back in and dumped the new fluid from thje master and removed the fittings and since there was little fluid in the line drained that and then replaced the SB fittings with no more mess. Didn't realize that it had drained back to through the piston on the master. Ok, so I oops'd. Next time I'll do the wrap and cover thing and just let it run out while replacing. Hey there won't be a next time since now I have speed bleeders installed.

If I had a vac system (threw my last Mitivac out since the handle broke and it leaked anyway) I would have. It's on the list although the bleeders work quite well.

Thanks all see ya down the road....if ya can keep up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts