GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Late this afternoon my wife and I were out enjoying a warm, sunny late fall ride. I was on a road I wasn’t terribly familiar with and was going faster than I should have been since it was late afternoon, the sun was setting and was directly in my face when I realized there was a stop sign right in front of me followed by a gravel road intersection. I had practiced panic stops but it’s not the same as a real panic stop. On the 2018+ the brakes are amazing and extremely capable of stopping quickly riding two up. It’s the first time I have smelled the odour of hot brakes.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I'm sure we've all had that Ahhhhhh Shi# moment.. glad your safe/sound... That's why it's good to practice that emergency stop every once in a while........

Ronnie

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
Practice and muscle memory are good things! Did your brake application initiate the ABS or did you control the brakes well enough to avoid the initial skid?

I purchsed an Arai XD helmet (dual sport type with extended top bill) and it shades my eyes very well for fall and spring rides with low horizon sun. Although it lacks the light weight and comfort of my preferred highway patrolman's helmet.

Oh, this is not late fall (10/21/'19); fall goes until 12/21/'19 this year. :)

prs

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
You always know the ABS is working because it is a humming

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Practice and muscle memory are good things! Did your brake application initiate the ABS or did you control the brakes well enough to avoid the initial skid?

I purchsed an Arai XD helmet (dual sport type with extended top bill) and it shades my eyes very well for fall and spring rides with low horizon sun. Although it lacks the light weight and comfort of my preferred highway patrolman's helmet.

Oh, this is not late fall (10/21/'19); fall goes until 12/21/'19 this year. :)

prs
No, there was no skid, it was a very controlled stop, just a very quick one. I don’t think the ABS kicked in but I’m not sure.

In my neck of the woods, a pleasant warm sunny day in late October is considered a late fall ride :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts