GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had my brake fluid flushed and bled with clean fluid. Now every time I get on the bike by first rear brake push down of the pedal goes all the way flat with no pressure. I release it and it returns to rest then brake pressure is fine. Front never seems to be affected.

2007 with the brake recall completed.

Is this common or anything to worry about?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
This is not right. Take it back to the dealer or whoever flushed and bled the brakes and have them bleed the brakes again.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Certainly has the symptoms of air in the system, sounds like it needs to be bled again, as jlbc212 said.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
If done at a dealer I'm not surprised. There are around 7 or 8 bleeders that need done. The chances of them not messing up things is about 50/50 at best.They probably used some shortcuts to save time that didn't work or ran out of fluid in the master cylinder during bleeding and sucked a bunch of air into the system. With all the plumbing it can be a real bear to get back right after messed up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Honestly, bleeding the brakes on a goldwing with all those bleeders is a pain in the ....ss. I had the help of a friend to get er done. Has to be done in the correct order with good technique.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Honestly, bleeding the brakes on a goldwing with all those bleeders is a pain in the ....ss. I had the help of a friend to get er done. Has to be done in the correct order with good technique.
True enough statement, I just this past weekend installed SpeedBleeders on my 2013, and they are great. Removed the OEM bleeders one at a time and installed the Speedbleeder, flushed that "port" moved to the next in no particular order, changed all 7 brake bleeders in about 30 minutes, no problems bleeding with one person.

Reactions: apes115 and jlbc212

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If the brake pumps up and is then solid it's not air in the sytem, if there's air there it will stay spongy. It's not ok and needs investigating before you ride.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Your rear m/c brake system needs properly bled. It starts with a proper inspection first. If all good there, follow the steps in the Service Manual to bleed the rear brake system.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Owning and maintaining the brakes on a ST1300 will make flushing and bleeding a Goldwing a pleasurable experience but seriously the OP needs to have whoever did the brakes bleed them properly. Tell them "or my estate will live well off of your negligence".

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Successful brake bleeding is just following the bleed steps in order and making sure the MCs never run dry. I've done my '02 every 2 years by myself and never had a problem with air in the system and brakes continue to work perfectly after all these years (and without speed bleeders). If a dealer did yours, return it and express significant displeasure. I shudder to think about other work they did if they can't do the bleed properly. And obviously, no testing was done by them to confirm proper operation. Problems like this is why I refused to submit to the brake recall.

Reactions: jlbc212

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Bob, the OP, said; "I recently had my brake fluid flushed and bled with clean fluid." Was this two seperate steps? If so, how was first step done? Honda's shop manual describes emptying the brake lines with a vacuum tool and then re-filling with vacuum tool, and then bleeding in traditional sense with the brake peddle and leveras final step. All of that is how I recall it, maybe thin ice. BUT, DO NOT DO THAT! Getting the masters re-primed can be a royal PIA, getting all the air pockets out would be another PIA, and life is so much easier if you follow the common procedure to simply empty the master cylinder with a baster or syringe and then purge the old fluid by refilling the master with fresh fluid and bleeding out the old as the new enters. It is easy to see when the old fluid is replaced by the new in a clear plastic drain tube. Fred did an excellent video on this in his CD video series for the "GL1832". He may still have some copies for sale.

The correct sequence needs to be followed to avoid contamination of one line while flushing another. The first Rocky bleed additional step is a very good idea and sometimes his second step is beneficial too. Rocky Bleed can researched on this forum. Get the infor for your mechanic.

prs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts