GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Not yet. Haven't stop it long enough. Been having too much fun playing in the rain.:eek:4:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I also experience a soft brake pedal upon initial braking after the trike has set a day or so. After the first application, it's fine for the rest of the day. There is a check valve in the rear brake lines that needs to be replaced. If you'll call the Trike Shop, they'll send you another valve if you want to replace it yourself, or if it's covered by warranty you can take it to a Trike Shop repair facility. Mine is still in warranty but the closest Trike Shop repair facility is 100 miles away so I had them send the part to me. I haven't put it in yet as this isn't that big of an issue for me to remember to hit the pedal once before starting a ride. I probably won't get the valve replaced this riding season, but at least I have the part if the situation gets worse.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
I also experience a soft brake pedal upon initial braking after the trike has set a day or so. After the first application, it's fine for the rest of the day. There is a check valve in the rear brake lines that needs to be replaced. If you'll call the Trike Shop, they'll send you another valve if you want to replace it yourself, or if it's covered by warranty you can take it to a Trike Shop repair facility. Mine is still in warranty but the closest Trike Shop repair facility is 100 miles away so I had them send the part to me. I haven't put it in yet as this isn't that big of an issue for me to remember to hit the pedal once before starting a ride. I probably won't get the valve replaced this riding season, but at least I have the part if the situation gets worse.
Did you try a quick rebleed to release any air bubbles?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, I installed the new check valve and bled the system two times. Worked great for about 3 mi., then back to a solf pedal. Will try bleeding again both the upper and lower bleed ports. We will see.:shrug:

Allen

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2004 Trikeshop conversion and haven't noticed any softness in the brakes, but have only been riding since October. What do I know? :shrug::shock:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Stay tuned. It's gonna get interesting. I will be calling trikeshop in the am to get them to send me a new valve. I already have everything else new to put on.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Blane.
One question. Is the Trike Shop Separated brake wise. I don't know that YET. If they are :shrug: ,but if they are still linked Try the MT procedure to bleed the brakes, which is to have all 3 wheels off the ground.....:?::?::?::shrug:
Just a thought.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Nope they are not linked.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Well it was a thought. Did you talk with Charlie about this?? Chaz36 I think it is.
Yep I did. I am supposed to go up there and visit with him some more after I put all the new brake parts on. We will compare notes over BBQ so he say's. I am looking forward to it. Wanna follow me up there?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Blaine, my Trikeshop has the same problem. It is most noticable when your traveling at a "spirited" speed along roads such as the "twisted sisters" in the hill country. Try to imagine coming upon a "twisty" with no guardrail, stepping on the brake and it sinks almost to the floorboard. Believe me, there is a lot of ars puckering and white knuckles going on when that happens.LOL Please keep us all informed about the outcome of your brake repairs so we might follow suit with ours.
Thank you in advance,
Ron McGowan

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Toolbox- did you get your solf peddle problem fixed. Mine is still solf. I'm going to try bleeding one more time. If you have a fix, please let me know.

Allen

This is just an idea and just a possibilty! Are you sure your brake lines are hooked up correctly? By that I mean you have a primary (or pressure line) and a secondary (or return line) and if they were crossed you would constantly have a soft pedal? Also where the lines connect it is possible to have them suck air but not leak, check to insure all connection points are all tight.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Lonestar, All suggestions are always helpful as is the one concerning the supply and the return brake lines. I just have one question,,,each of us that are having the same or similar problems with our brakes on our Trikeshop conversions have each had our trikes built by totally different builders. Would all those builders have made the same mistake? I've bled my brakes twice now with no appreciable positive results. It doesn't seem to be REAL dangerous as yet, but then I don't want it to get that way either. I appreciate any and all input with this matter.

Ron McGowan

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Lonestar, All suggestions are always helpful as is the one concerning the supply and the return brake lines. I just have one question,,,each of us that are having the same or similar problems with our brakes on our Trikeshop conversions have each had our trikes built by totally different builders. Would all those builders have made the same mistake? I've bled my brakes twice now with no appreciable positive results. It doesn't seem to be REAL dangerous as yet, but then I don't want it to get that way either. I appreciate any and all input with this matter.

Ron McGowan
We see rear brake issues on some kits more often than others. Not TS by any means. An inline pressure valve could be the common denominator of course. The best people to answer a Trike kit part question would be the manufactuer. Did you installer roll your brake pedal up one notch? I can't say the line crossing is the problem but it can happen easily if you're not paying attention.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The only time I experience a soft pedal on my trike is the first time I apply the brakes after it's sat overnight, or all day without being ridden. After that, there's no problem with the brake pedal at all. It's rock solid all day and not squishy at all. When I contacted the Trike Shop factory, the sent me another check valve to replace the current one. They call it a "2 lb residule valve". I don't know what the one in the kit is, but I'll get around to changing it out probably this winter. It's really not much of a problem at all. Even if I forget to hit the brakes before taking a ride, it's still a hard pedal when I do hit it, with no real loss of braking, just goes down quite a ways which is kinda scary when you're used to a full pedal.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Gary @ LST, At first when I was having this
soft pedal" problem, I did take the brake pedal off to "roll it" up one notch. Unfortunately not only did it not make any differrence, it was a little too high for comfort for my right foot. I did, however, add a piece of 3/16" aluminum plate with a thin rubber pad to the pedal for a better surface area. That made a world of difference as far as control goes, but did nothing for the soft pedal issue. I think I'm going to wait on the results that Toolboxjunky has to tell us after his repairs to deal any further into this problem. I've been used to it for quite some time and it's not gettting any worse, but it IS aggravating. Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.
Ron McGowan

·
Registered
286 Posts
Brakes

Gary, your comment:
...."you have a primary (or pressure line) and a secondary (or return line) and if they were crossed you would constantly have a soft pedal?"

On the TS a single brake line from the rear master cylinder goes to a "T" fitting and branches to each rear caliper, there is no "secondary" or "return" line and nothing to cross.

Also where the lines connect it is possible to have them suck air but not leak, check to insure all connection points are all tight.

Usually if a brake system does not leak under pressure it will not leak under any small vacuum that could be present but certainly all connection points should be checked.

Anyway, JMHO
Charlie

·
Registered
244 Posts
My 2003 with 2007 Trikeshop will throw you through the windshield if you lock em up. No problems. I have Kury floorboards, pedal down about an inch and I'm coming to a halt.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts