GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I started my Trike up this morning and I got all my running lights on; however, when brake lever or foot brake depressed I get no brake lights.
I've seen all sorts of posts about the lever switch needing lubrication, fuse check, relay check, add a ground wire, etc....

I'm not all that mechanically inclined but I would prefer not to go to my shop to have them work on it if at all possible. Not that I don't have a ton of lights on the back end, but easier to have an accident if someone not paying attention as I have no flashers to indicate braking. Any other suggestions or the best way to troubleshoot are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hello,

I started my Trike up this morning and I got all my running lights on; however, when brake lever or foot brake depressed I get no brake lights.
I've seen all sorts of posts about the lever switch needing lubrication, fuse check, relay check, add a ground wire, etc....

I'm not all that mechanically inclined but I would prefer not to go to my shop to have them work on it if at all possible. Not that I don't have a ton of lights on the back end, but easier to have an accident if someone not paying attention as I have no flashers to indicate braking. Any other suggestions or the best way to troubleshoot are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce

ce
Here are two pages from an '01 manual. Should be the same as your '04. I'd check fuse 18 and 27 first. If they are good check the output of the Stop Light Relay (pin 2). If that is good then it's time to chase wires. I'd go direct to the brake light socket and follow the green with red tracer back forward... Dividing into sections is the best way to trouble shoot wiring. Worked well on HUGE aircraft my entire Air Force career. You'll have to remove the seat to access the relays. This is why I preach owning a shop manual :cool:...... They just come in handy.. :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just thought of this. If turn signals work, fuse 27 and the and the Horn/Turn Relay feeding both brake switches are good. The output from that relay branches off to feed the turn signals before going to the brake switches.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help Goldrush. Haven't had a chance to check the bike yet, but will follow the steps you provided.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts