GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Getting new tires, so, I'll have my wheels pulled off soon, and will be inspecting the brakes, ect. I'm at almost 9000 miles.

when I measure my pad thickness, what is considered the minimum?? I'm trying to figure out how much pad life I have left, since I'll have the wheels off anyway.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Hey everyone. Getting new tires, so, I'll have my wheels pulled off soon, and will be inspecting the brakes, ect. I'm at almost 9000 miles.

when I measure my pad thickness, what is considered the minimum?? I'm trying to figure out how much pad life I have left, since I'll have the wheels off anyway.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!
The pads have wear "cuts" and when you can't see or are really close to not seeing them, then they need changing. I got 37K out of my first set. I have a little over 60K now and the pads are still looking good.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
If they still have at least this much left: iii . . . you're good to go for another few K miles! Anything less - I'd replace 'em.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome info! Any thoughts, Honda vs. Aftermarket??

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
From what I have seen you should get at least 25,000 out of a set of pads and I always run Honda pads.
Kurt :thumbup:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Oem

Just had first set of front pads replaced at 32,000 miles when I replaced the front tire.I went back with the Honda OEM pads as they have worn well. When I replace the rear tire next time I'll replace the rear set of pads.
I'll stay will what has worked well for me and most all I have talked with.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, well, since my bike is just shy of 9000, guess I wont buy any brakes. I'll inspect and measure them when I pull the rims off just to be sure - but, I'm glad that I don't have that extra expense right now!!

Thanks y'all!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts