GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy gang. I have a question and it's probably been touched on before but I was lazy and instead of searching I figured I'd just post it right quick.

Knowing that this question had so many varying factors I'm just trying to get an approximate mileage comparison for brake pad changes. I'm wondering about how many miles most of you are getting before having to R&R the brake pads? Many drive more city roads thans others, and some drive more highways.

I don't have a garage but am going to do most of my maintenance myself so I would like to know at what time I may want to start pulling the wheels and actually checking the pad wear.

Thanks and everyone have a safe holiday.

Shooters

·
Registered
268 Posts
Shooters, I,ve never had to replace brake pads before 50,000 miles. I am now on my fifth Wing and usually put approx. 70K to 100K on each bike. Only twice have I needed to replace the pads on 5 bikes. I do change out the fluid approx every 2-3 years. Of course like you said it all depends on your type and style of riding. My wife and I do make some long distance tours, so maybe we are not as rough as some, of course we do tow a trailer some. Hope this helps, Take Care George

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Shooter,
There is way to many variables in riding styles to use just mileage for and indicator of brake wear. Load, speed, twisties, do you pull a trailer or not, two up or solo most of the time, all affect pad wear rate. If you want to check your pads there is no need to pull the wheels. The first to wear out will be the left front because of the way the linked braking system works. There is no need to pull the wheels. Just pull the rotor cover off and take the bolt out of the bottom that holds the pads in and they will fall right out. Quick and easy.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Galute,
when you say left side, would that be the left side facing the front of the bike or from a sitting postion; how about the rear brakes?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something else I was wondering as well; it sure seems like I'm getting more play in the brake levers when I apply the brakes, more so from when the Wing was new. I attributed that to brake pad wear, but I'm wondering if that may be the brake fluid needing changing?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Texan said:
Shooters, I,ve never had to replace brake pads before 50,000 miles. I am now on my fifth Wing and usually put approx. 70K to 100K on each bike. Only twice have I needed to replace the pads on 5 bikes. I do change out the fluid approx every 2-3 years. Of course like you said it all depends on your type and style of riding. My wife and I do make some long distance tours, so maybe we are not as rough as some, of course we do tow a trailer some. Hope this helps, Take Care George
Dang Texan, you must do a hell of a lot of highway riding?

W

·
0 Posts
Shooters said:
Something else I was wondering as well; it sure seems like I'm getting more play in the brake levers when I apply the brakes, more so from when the Wing was new. I attributed that to brake pad wear, but I'm wondering if that may be the brake fluid needing changing?
I believe that over time there has to be a certain amount of cable stritch but maybe some faithfull wrenches will chime in on this one.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Sorry Shooter, should of been a little more specific. I was talking about the left side while sitting on the seat. Also when I said pull the rotor covers thats only if ya got em. If not all ya gotta do is pull the bolt that holds the pads in place and they will come right out the bottom. The right front and rear both pretty much work the same, just pull the bolt and they come right out. You will prolly need to take a pry bar and push the pistons back into the calipers before you do this, it makes the pads much easier to get back in. Make sure you do not touch either brake lever or pedal while the pads are out. BUT!! Make doubly sure you pump both the front and rear back up AFTER you replace all the pads to reset the pads against the rotors BEFORE you move the bike.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. Can you just use your thumbs to push the calipers bach in or is a crow bar necessary? I know Fred uses his hands in the video but everything he does looks easy.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
Shooters said:
I believe that over time there has to be a certain amount of cable stritch but maybe some faithfull wrenches will chime in on this one.
There are no cables in the wings braking system. All hydraulic. The extra peddal/lever feel is probably due to several things. 1. slight contamination of the fluid over time. 2. pad wear. 3. As miles are added the brake pads and rotors go thru a lot of heat cycles causing them to glaze and get harder. This will require more pressure to the pedal/lever to get the same braking results. No big deal, normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
galute said:
Wi_Winger said:
Shooters said:
There are no cables in the wings braking system. All hydraulic. The extra peddal/lever feel is probably due to several things. 1. slight contamination of the fluid over time. 2. pad wear. 3. As miles are added the brake pads and rotors go thru a lot of heat cycles causing them to glaze and get harder. This will require more pressure to the pedal/lever to get the same braking results. No big deal, normal wear and tear.
Now I have about 8k on my Wing. Would the fluid be contaminated already?

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Shooters said:
galute said:
Wi_Winger said:
Shooters said:
That would probably depend more on time than miles. How old is your bike? Brake fluid is highly corrosive and it also tends to draw moisture. How contaminated it is would depend more so on how old it is than the number of miles. I think Honda recommends changing the brake and clutch fluids every two years. Not sure about that, I would have to look at the manual. I changed mine at 54k miles (pads too) and 3 years. It still looked fairly clean in the resovoirs but was very nasty coming out of the calipers. The contaminants tend to settle to the lowest point of the system where you can't see them.

BTW. With only 8k miles on the bike, I would seriously doubt you have excessive wear on the pads.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
galute said:
Shooters said:
galute said:
Wi_Winger said:
Shooters said:
That would probably depend more on time than miles. How old is your bike? Brake fluid is highly corrosive and it also tends to draw moisture. How contaminated it is would depend more so on how old it is than the number of miles. I think Honda recommends changing the brake and clutch fluids every two years. Not sure about that, I would have to look at the manual. I changed mine at 54k miles (pads too) and 3 years. It still looked fairly clean in the resovoirs but was very nasty coming out of the calipers. The contaminants tend to settle to the lowest point of the system where you can't see them.

BTW. With only 8k miles on the bike, I would seriously doubt you have excessive wear on the pads.
The bike is a year old this month. I got it in 05' right before xmas. I'm in agreement with you that the pads should not need replacement. I'm very anal when it comes to maintenance. I appreciate your help bud.

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
repalced left front pads at 84,000 about wornout

rear pads at 98,000 for sure wornout

front right at 130,000 and they still were not wornout but i was tired of checking so just replaced em

also replaced front left the second time at 130,000 not wornout but was doing a tire change and just replaced to get it over with

for me the hardest thing on brakes comes from getting carried away on twisty roads but i usually don't let that happen

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Mike, which cable do you thing is stritching?......I was under the impression it was all hydraulic.

W

·
0 Posts
IR Harry said:
Mike, which cable do you thing is stritching?......I was under the impression it was all hydraulic.
Can't speak for the back brake, but isn't the front brake activated by cable. which do stritch?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Look at your front brake handle. Actuater in on the right handllebar, right in front of the rotary throttle. In front of that is a big black thing with a window in it. That is a hydraulic resivor for brake fluid. Coming out of it is a hose going to the front brakes.

Where do you see a cable that can stritch?

The brake system on a GL1800 is HYDRAULIC. Only mechanical part is the foot brake rod leading to the lower master unit. No cables.

W

·
0 Posts
IR Harry said:
Look at your front brake handle. Actuater in on the right handllebar, right in front of the rotary throttle. In front of that is a big black thing with a window in it. That is a hydraulic resivor for brake fluid. Coming out of it is a hose going to the front brakes.

Where do you see a cable that can stritch?

The brake system on a GL1800 is HYDRAULIC. Only mechanical part is the foot brake rod leading to the lower master unit. No cables.
Thanks,
I looked and your guys are right. I stand corrected, no cable.
It's amazing how much you can learn here.

Thanks Again

1 - 18 of 18 Posts