GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

OK it's time for new brakes.

So Honda brakes or aftermarket?

From the pictures I've seen of the pad surface, the factory brakes and aftermarket look much different.

John

·
Registered
578 Posts
Have you been satisfied with your stock brakes? I have. Why mess with something that works so well. IMHO, stick with OEM.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
wrenched said:
Have you been satisfied with your stock brakes? I have. Why mess with something that works so well. IMHO, stick with OEM.
To see if something else works better?

I've tried some aftermarket ones. Stick with OEM. They last enough longer to make up the cost difference. The OEM pads are customized a bit for each brake. The rear is significantly larger. The aftermarket companies tend to sell one set three times since the sets will technically fit. 'Didn't notice any differance in stopping power.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the feedback...

The reason for the question is not that I'm unhappy about the way my bike stops, it's just that I believe that 24k miles is a bit short for brakes to last, at least the way I ride... Second, there are MANY brands of brakes for cages that are far better then the OEM, so might there be for bikes.

Again thanks for the feedback.

John

·
Vendor
2,371 Posts
New Traxxion / Vesrah brakes for the GL

Part of my trip to Japan last week was to formalize a deal with Vesrah Brakes to make a Traxxion spec brake pad using two of the high performance pad compounds they have developed for racing.

I have just ordered a small data ac gauge that does a stopping distance calculation from 60mph, and we will be doing formal testing within 30 days.

There is definitely a demand for better brakes for the GL. When you load up a 250 pound driver, his 200 pound wife, 100 pounds of gear, 100 pounds of chrome and lighting, and then hitch up a trailer, you have far exceeded what the stock pads were intended to do.

The Vesrah compounds are sintered metal. They last quite well, and do not require any special bed in procedures or rotor preparations. They also don't tear up the rotors any more than stock pads. They will cost roughly the same as well.

Vesrah is the company that sponsors the Vesrah Suzuki Endurance Team, owned by Mark Junge. They have won 5 WERA National Endurance Racing Championships in the last 6 years. They also won the 24 hours of Willow Springs (the only team in the hunt for the win that used one set of pads for the entire 24 hours).

I can't imagine expecting to get more than 24,000 miles out of a set of brake pads though. Brakes are like tires. If you want them to stick more or stop sooner, they likely won't last as long as the "high mileage" stuff.

I will be looking for some people to try the pads and give unbiased opinions once we do our G-force and stopping distance testing. If you are interested, shoot an email to [email protected].

8)

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Re: New Traxxion / Vesrah brakes for the GL

Max McAllister said:
The Vesrah compounds are sintered metal. They last quite well, and do not require any special bed in procedures or rotor preparations. They also don't tear up the rotors any more than stock pads. They will cost roughly the same as well.
Would these require heat to stop, like racing pads?? I'd certainly be interested if they will act more like street pads with better stopping power!! After riding the Triumph for any length of time, coming back to the Wing almost has me riding through fences!!!! I'd love to have more braking power on the Wingabago!! :shock:

·
Registered
501 Posts
OEM....Tried EBC, they made wierd noise, I took them off and went back to OEM

·
Registered
582 Posts
Change my front and rear pads @ 32,000 and 64,000, with OEM. Both times there was still plenty of pad left on all three sets.

·
Vendor
2,371 Posts
Re: New Traxxion / Vesrah brakes for the GL

PunkinWing said:
Max McAllister said:
Would these require heat to stop, like racing pads?? I'd certainly be interested if they will act more like street pads with better stopping power!! After riding the Triumph for any length of time, coming back to the Wing almost has me riding through fences!!!! I'd love to have more braking power on the Wingabago!! :shock:
No. The kind of brakes you are thinking of are very high end "carbon" brakes. These will also have great initial bite.

We will have two compounds to test, and to be honest, the second one may be too strong for most GL owners, but for the segment that likes to sport ride their wing, they will be awesome.

I can't speculate how much better they will be, but let's just say I wouldn't have gone to Japan to do a deal if I thought they were only going to be a teeeny little bit better. :wink:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Pads

Oem will save you money in the long run.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts