what are the best brakes for 1800 f&r or what are most brand used

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Hard to beat the OEM brakes.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
what I've seen is OEM ... most used including me, best........ there are all kinds of opinions.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
There is another option for rotors rather than using OEM brake rotors, GALFER produces a quality product:
This is a quote from their web site www.galferusa.com
'All Galfer rotors are CAD designed, then laser cut and diamond surface finished for precision fit and perfect trueness. Galfer Wave Brake Rotors offer superior performance due to: lighter weight-decrease rotating mass allows for faster acceleration and quicker change of direction and turn in. Rotors typically reduce static weight by 4 pounds, self cleaning and cooling action as it rotates, full floating design'
GL 1800 ABS / LINKED BRAKE 2001-05 FK003D533C complete kit

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
'm confused ...I thought we were talking about brakes.. not rotors

·
Registered
297 Posts
Any brand will make it stop and they are all easy to change, unless you plan on taking it on the track for some serious riding, OEM or good aftermarket pads should do fine.
Some might disagree but they work for me. You might try Hal's selection.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
+1 on the OEM. Haven't had to change pads on the GW's yet, but once my wife had her VTX 1800 set changed, it had linked brakes. The dealer used some aftermarket pads (don't ask me why... I guess to save money, for him) anyway, the VTX did not brake correctly with these pads. We took the bike back and insisted on Honda pads... it worked fine after that.

I'll use only Honda pads on my GW. Now that I've learned how simple it is to change them from Fred's videos.... I'll do it myself.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
OEM :thumbup:

·
Registered
464 Posts
+1 for the OEM..

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I've been running the Traxxion brake pads for 2,400 miles now, and I feel that they are a better brake pad than OEM.

I find that they take about 25% less effort to achieve a normal stop, and I'd guess 35% less effort to engage the ABS. I also find that they are much closer to linear in that the amount of force applied to the brakes is more proportional to the decelleration force felt.

Since they take less effort though, that means that you can lock up easier if you don't have ABS. I find that they still take a lot more effort than any other bike I've ridden, so I don't feel they are dangerous, but if you are used to more effort, that is something to keep in mind. The fact that they are more linear means that they should be easier to modulate once you get used to them.

I also find that they dust much less than the OEM pads did.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
There is another option for rotors rather than using OEM brake rotors, GALFER produces a quality product:
This is a quote from their web site www.galferusa.com
'All Galfer rotors are CAD designed, then laser cut and diamond surface finished for precision fit and perfect trueness. Galfer Wave Brake Rotors offer superior performance due to: lighter weight-decrease rotating mass allows for faster acceleration and quicker change of direction and turn in. Rotors typically reduce static weight by 4 pounds, self cleaning and cooling action as it rotates, full floating design'
GL 1800 ABS / LINKED BRAKE 2001-05 FK003D533C complete kit
I think that is for braided stainless lines, not rotors. Another nice upgrade...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
pads

I think that is for braided stainless lines, not rotors. Another nice upgrade...
I like oem they are thicker and last longer and no sqeeling a little more expencive but I think they pay for themself.
Jack

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I like oem they are thicker and last longer and no sqeeling a little more expencive but I think they pay for themself.
Jack
I have no squealing with the Traxxion pads and have not heard of them being short lived. The OEM are actually cheaper than the Traxxion pads. I feel the Traxxion pads are well worth it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts