GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... Had my first crash on my '06...

This is one those instances where I probably went down because I was going TOO SLOW!

I was on a highway off ramp that curved down & to the right - to a traffic light at an intersection. A couple cars were stopped at the traffic light, and one car - directly ahead of me - was slowing down to stop behind the line of traffic. It had rained earlier in the morning and the roads were still wet. The car directly ahead of me was moving over (and consequently hiding) a big painted directional arrow in the middle of the lane. So... I'm slowing down to stop - going less that 5mph - handle bars turned slightly because of the curve in the off ramp. That's when the car ahead of me moves forward revealing the painted arrow... My front tire hits the rain-wet arrow and slides to the left - throwing the bike down on its right side. Fortunately, no one was close enough behind me to hit me, or the bike.

End result: Broken left thumb (with two pins it in holding the bone in place while it heals) - broken right upper arm (with a rod through it - with a screw top & bottom holding the rod in place) - 5 thousand bucks damages to the right side of the bike...

After I'm repaired, and the bike is healed - will come the REAL decision/discussion... Y'see - my wife & 13 year old son weren't too keen on my getting this bike in the first place.

Me?!?! I'd ride again... in a heartbeat! (This isn't my first crash... or even my fourth...) But I'm not sure if I could weather a strongly disapproving wife & son...

Ironically, of the few crashes I've been involved in - this was the slowest I've ever been going when I hit the ground - and this is the most damage I or the bike have sustained!

No matter how much you prepare & practice - or how many motorcycle safety courses you take - sometimes... Bad luck just happens!

Y'all be careful out there!

-=Margarita Will=-

·
Registered
477 Posts
oops

sorry for your fall. like you said it could have been worser by a bunch. get better quick. hope the other 1/2 lets you keep riding.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Glad you're O.K. (repaired as you say). That white stuff in the road scares the crap out of me, wet or dry. The family influence bears a lot of weight on decision making and I hope a good resolve is in the works. Good luck, take care, and happy days.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Sounds like it could have caught any of us off gaurd in the same way.
Sorry about your spill.

Herb

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
Not your first or fourth, well how many? I think a Safety Rider Course is in need. Accidents happen, but this oh well attitude would bother me also.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Sorry to hear about you going down and getting injured. Yes, it is true that riding a bike is more dangerous than riding in a cage. No, there is no way to avoid some accidents, no matter how careful you are or how experienced. The "careful" and "experienced" can help in avoid some accidents but not all. I have convinced two friends to quit riding because they were so unsure of themselves and kept telling me how paranoid they were about getting hurt on the bike. It is always a personal risk acceptance/avoidance issue when it comes to riding. Either you get so much out of the riding experience that it outweights the risk, or it doesn't.

You can do things to minimize or avoid certain risks such as:
- Plan rides so you do not ride during night time hours
- Avoid highly congested traffic areas
- Take additional training classes, possibly at a track
- Wear all the gear all the time (ATGATT)
- Pull off the road if the weather turns bad
- Only ride during the best part of the season
One problem with doing the above: it would take away from the riding experience that it would not be worth it for me. You may think differently.

Hope you can reach a decision that you can live with. I would let yourself heal fully and think about what it means to you to ride before jumping to any decision. You are probably not thinking rationally right now because the trauma of the accident are at the forefront of your mind.

Personnally, when I stop riding is probably be when I am close to death. If not, I will probably go soon after anyway! :roll:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
laen said:
Not your first or fourth, well how many?
Well... If memory serves me, this would be crash number 5 - over about 10 years of riding.

#1 - I was in left lane - driver in right lane turned left in front of me.
#2 - Rainy night, curvy mountain road, gravel in corner - oil under gravel
#3 - Sand in intersection on a cobble stone road
#4 - Snow in curve

laen said:
I think a Safety Rider Course is in need.
Funny you should mention that... Since it had been 'bout 10 years since I'd owned my last Gold Wing, I made sure I signed up for the MSF's Beginner's Riding Course. I was the only one in the class who aced BOTH the written AND performance portions of the class...

laen said:
Accidents happen, but this oh well attitude would bother me also.
Trust me... It only SEEMS like I have an "oh well" attitude...

I know how lucky I was.

Several months ago, I attended the funeral for another motorcyclist. He went down in a curve on a rainy night. Hitting the road didn't kill him. The unfortunate girl in the car behind him that ran OVER him is what killed him.

-=Margarita Will=-

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Maybe you otta lay off the Margaritas.

Just kidding, glad you are alright. it could have been much worse.

Being that you were in a turn I really do not know if it would have made a difference, but was wondering if you have ABS.

·
15 year Member
6,997 Posts
Margarita Will,

First off let me say I am sorry about your Accident

I have studied your story and here are my findings:

1. Although harsh, get rid of Wife and Kid
2. Since # 1 is a no -go do not ride if streets are wet
3. Get a trike
4. If the roads are wet and you ride , make up a story about Hells Angels chasing you
5. Write City/Town about un-nessacerilly large arrows and suggest they make them smaller or at least put up an arrow warning sign for motorcycle riders.
6. Get a nice big picture of a Goldwing and enjoy the rest of your life with your Family!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Margarita Will

Real sorry to hear this. Sure hope you recover quickly, especially since we have yet to get that ride in together. Was over the fair grounds during that Seniors Expo thing and saw a great looking black (it really is the fastest color) Wing and tried to see if the owner was around since I recall you saying something about the fair grounds.

If there is anything that I can do, please drop me a line and let me know.

Wheels

·
Registered
21,338 Posts
sorry to hear of your injuries, sounds very painfull, hopefully everything will heal fully without more complications

$5,000 damage to your wing ? sure sounds like lot of damage to the bike for not hiting anything but the road at 5 mph

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
You can go through a whole bunch of Monday night quarterbacking. But it will not reveal much that you don't already know.

First things first. Heal up and heal fast.

Then as you say: Head bangin time. Only you have the answer within. How foolish would I be to tell you to keep riding, when that is not the right decision for you and your family.
All the best and a hope for the correct conclusion.

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I'm glad your relatively OK.

I think that this accident was unavoidable. While some will dissagree with me, there are some accidents that you just can't do anything about and no amount of skill/training will save you; this was one.

Riding a motorcycle is dangerous. Anyone who thinks otherwise is looking for trouble and will eventually find it.

I don't envy you your decision, but a family can't be replaced.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I too am glad that your on the mend. There are times that "Stuff just happens". Today I was on my way to work on US60 in Mesa, AZ. I'm in the HOV lane rolling at 75mph and notice some cars off on the left shoulder. I don't tailgate and I stay close to the line on the right so the cars to the right of me can see me in their mirror. (My simple logic is if they can see me.. they won't lane change into me!) As we approach the 2 cars off on the left shoulder, I glance and see a dark fluid under one of the cars. Just then the car in front of me clears an 8' wide oil slick ( or the dirtiest coolant I've ever seen) and I was able to squeeze by it on the right side of my lane.

This could have been another one of those unpredictable moments if I hadn't been lucky enough to see the spot under the car first. I've also almost fallen over at a light because I put my foot down on an oil soaked mess and it started to slide out.

A safety course doesn't ride in front of you making sure the way is hazard free. Yea.. it's a good thing to take.. but it's not a bandaid to "Stuff just happens". I could be wrong... but that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fall. I had a similar one on my Burgman when I hit a 4" lip in a hole in the street. Down before you can blink. Mine was caused by the front wheel locking up as it became unweighted by the lip. I was covering the brakes because I had braked prior to hitting the hole and was just about to turn, but had not turned yet. The hole hit so hard it almost bucked me off and when I reflexively grabbed the bars I grabbed both brakes (the Burgman's brakes are both handlevers.) So when the locked wheel came back underweight it skidded 6' and I was down on my right side. No injury and the only bike damage was some rash on the plastic.

Your crash sounds similar in that a skid developed, however, I am mystified about how a fall at 5 mph produced $5k of damage. Obviously, it must have tipped over past the crash bars. So what was damaged? How far did you skid?

P.S. It helps that I am in California, but I don't ride in the rain. Or, after a rain. When we get the first rain of the season as we did here today the water brings up a slick made of 6 months of oil drips. If it is ever going to be slick, now is prime time. I noticed a common element in 4 of your 5 crashes. Lack of traction due to rain, snow or sand. If the rain on a white stripe is slick enough to skid at 5 mph it might be a good time to park the bike, or at least avoid them like they are a 6 foot hole in the ground.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
This is one those instances where I probably went down because I was going TOO SLOW!
I don't know if you were going too slow, but painted road surfaces that are wet and motorcycle tires simply don't go together and can spell potential danger. My feeling is that if you were trying to turn while your front tire was over the wet painted arrow, you had all the elements necessary to start a slide, not unlike if you were trying to turn sharply while going over a wet manhole cover. The only way you can go over such slippery surfaces on a motorcycle is straight on and not try to be turning at the same time or you are likely to go into a front end slide.

Riding a motorcycle does have additional hazards and risk, but they can be minimized substantially if you know what to look out for and how to prepare for them, plus what to and what not to do while you ride over them. It also takes time and practice so don't give up. Learn from this, study the hazards, adapt and you'll be a better and safer riding motorcyclist - rain or shine.

Good luck,

DaleC

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
There are no gurantee's in this life !! I never travel in the center behind any cage wet or dry, I know the oil is there and the paint is there. But out there, anything can and will happen !!

JMHO 8)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts