GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm brand new to this bike and this forum, thanks for the great resources for a new owner!

I just picked up a new 2020 Gold Wing a few days ago, and so far I love it, except for one thing.

After I added GrabOn grip covers to the grips (which I've done on most of the over 30 bikes i've owned), the bike would frequently DIE when slowing to a stop from 40+ MPH. The first time I thought it was a fluke, but then it happened again 4 more times so i knew something was wrong, and since it hadn't happened before i put on the grip covers I knew it was related to them.

I thought maybe it was due to the clutch microswitches not engaging when the clutch lever was pulled all the way in (due to the increased diameter with the grip covers). There is one clutch switch that clicks when you first move the lever, and another one when you get the lever close to the grip. So I moved the clutch lever out one notch using the adjustment wheel. It had been on 5 (closest) because I hate the way-out engagement point of hydraulic clutches. The feel of this clutch is terrible in my opinion!

Changing this seemed to help, as it didn't happen again for many miles, but then it did, it died on me again coming to a stop with the clutch lever pulled in. So I thought maybe I should try position 3 instead of 4. So far I haven't had it die again, but it's only been a day.

My question is: has anyone else experienced this, using grip covers or aftermarket grips or anything like that? I'm thinking that if it is the grip diameter then it would have happened to someone else by now.

BUT. If this was the reason for the engine dying, then you could simulate this behavior and cause it by simply holding the clutch lever out when slowing to a stop. I trust that this doesn't cause the engine to die, as that certainly wouldn't be acceptable to anyone. So what gives? I've been to the dealer and they didn't have a clue, except they thought maybe it wasn't related to the grip covers at all, which I guess it possible but given the correlation with their install, unlikely.

I'm at my wits end right now, any advice would be appreciated! Thanks from a new member!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If taking those things off is not too much of a PITA, take them off for a few days and see what happens. But, since you said the dying has stopped since you moved the lever position, I'd ride a few more times before taking them off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My 2018 GWT6 left the dealership with the clutch lever set on "5". I'm very lucky that I didn't sail through parked bikes on the lot. I changed the lever to position "3" and it is much better for me. I've never had the bike die regardless of the clutch lever position, with stock grips and no additional covers.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I bought my 2018 used with grip puppies or equivalent installed. Never an issue. My levers were set at 5 when I got the bike and like many I have adjusted them down a few notches.

I have never used grip puppies before and decided to leave them on for a while to see if I liked them. Then I decided to slice them off to see what I preferred. They were cheap enough to not worry about it and I would just buy new ones if that was my preference.

So far no grip puppies are going back on. My preference.

If your bike acts up again I would remove them to see if they are indeed the cause.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would say take the grips off and see what happens. It's very possible it was just a coincidence that the issue appeared after putting them on. I don't see how a larger grip can cause the switch to malfunction. I have grip puppies on my bike and the only thing it changes is how I grip the handle, not how I interact with the clutch/brake levers.
On my bike the clutch play is well away from the grip but I have an 08.

You could have some sort of a loose connection on a kill switch or perhaps the kickstand that moves slightly when force is placed on it due to stopping. Have you tried any abrupt stops to see if it replicates the problem?

·
Registered
16,490 Posts
I have not come up with a plausible grip cover cause for that symptom. I suspect a sticky micro switch. Keep an eye on the dash indicators when/if this happens again to see if the side stand warning is on. As PM, an aerosol shot of silicone lube or DuPont TriFlow at each micro switch might be helpful. It seems that micro switches have been troublesome on the manual tranny versions, at least with 2018 early ones.

prs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all the responses. It's been too cold to ride so i haven't gotten a chance to diagnose it much more, but i have a follow up question that may help.

When you have the clutch pulled all the way in, do you get the "low" idle, around 700 rpms or so, then when you begin to let the clutch out (past the first microswitch) does your idle increase to 1,100 or so? I've read that this is the intended behavior, and mine does this, want to make sure this is correct.

The only other thing I can think of is, kind of related to PigeonRoost's post, maybe when i've got the grip covers on and the lever set to 5, it's coming back just to the point of activation and maybe like half hitting it, causing some weird input to the ECU like on/off/halfway/noisy input that's confusing the ECU and causing it to just kill the motor. That may be a stretch but it's my working theory. you wouldn't be able to simulate that b/c you couldn't hold the lever at exactly that point, but with the covers on the lever hits the foam at almost exactly the spot where the switch "clicks"...

Thanks for the tip 'Roost I may try that.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sounds to me like your only option right now is to remove the grip cover and that will answer your question. Since they only cost 10 dollars it's no great loss. You might try soaking the grip in soapy water and maybe it would allow you to remove it without cutting it off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I rode around for about 40 miles today with the clutch lever at position 3, and it didn't die a single time. I'm gonna say it's something to do with that switch, just leave the darn lever at 3 and call it a day. I'll just have to get used to the clutch feel on this bike, no big deal. I love the grip covers too much to take them off.

·
Vendor
21,411 Posts
If my memory serves correct, the idle speed actually increases when the clutch is let out, and drops when you pull the clutch lever in with the bike in gear. So it seems to me like it should actually be less prone to the engine stalling if the clutch switch was not making contact, since it should then be idling at a higher RPM. So I guess I'm a bit confused by your symptoms, or maybe my logic is mixed up??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts