GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding Harleys for 40 years all the wonderful things I’ve been hearing about Goldwing reliability. Never needing to see the dealer for 250,000 miles except for oil changes. Yeah no my Harley‘s were way more reliable. At 300 miles not riding the bike a couple of days and thankfully it was in my garage the battery was so dead it wouldn’t start. Being a DCT there is no way to jumpstart it and it would not take a charge. Dealer picked it up ,didn’t replace the battery said everything was perfect no parasitic draw no problem with the battery ride on. A month later 2400 mikes on the clock click click click . This time I was able to get it to take a charge enough to ride it to the local dealer. They have no battery in stock it’ll take seven days but a dealer 45 minutes away did have one in stock at which time I said I would go and get it. He told me if I picked it up from another dealer I would have to pay for the battery and they would not warrantee it. So here I sit and wait and maybe in seven days I’ll have my new bike back for the second time in 2400 miles . At this point I no longer trust the Honda Goldwing to go anywhere with

·
Registered
153 Posts
I understand. Please give it one more shot. These darn Goldwings are known for bad batteries....

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Broken down twice?
Well, technically if a bike fails to transport you from point A to point B, I guess you could say it is 'broken down'. But most, when faced with a battery failure will complain that their lousy battery went bad prematurely. Will you blame the bike if you pick up some road debris and have a flat? C'mon, fix the battery problem, under warranty, and enjoy your bike....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Broken down twice?
Well, technically if a bike fails to transport you from point A to point B, I guess you could say it is 'broken down'. But most, when faced with a battery failure will complain that their lousy battery went bad prematurely. Will you blame the bike if you pick up some road debris and have a flat? C'mon, fix the battery problem, under warranty, and enjoy your bike....
. If a bike fails to move because of mechanical or electrical issues it is broken down and has failed . Please do not insult my intelligence by comparing my troubles to road hazards. I understand everything with more than one moving part is subject to failure but a new top of the line anything twice for the same issue in a matter of 2000 miles is unacceptable . The dealer assured me the battery was fine after the first failure . I bought the bike for long distance touring. Now not confident it can be trusted .

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I bought the bike for long distance touring. Now not confident it can be trusted .
Sell it, go back to HD, and move on. IDK how much empathy you're going to get here because batteries on the 2018+ have been a mixed bag. Most just buy a new one (including me) and ride on. A dead battery was only a minor blip in the 46,554 miles I have on my 2018.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
. If a bike fails to move because of mechanical or electrical issues it is broken down and has failed . Please do not insult my intelligence by comparing my troubles to road hazards. I understand everything with more than one moving part is subject to failure but a new top of the line anything twice for the same issue in a matter of 2000 miles is unacceptable . The dealer assured me the battery was fine after the first failure . I bought the bike for long distance touring. Now not confident it can be trusted .
Sir. I sure wasn't implying anything about your intelligence, and if you took it that way, please don't. That was not what I was saying. And I do understand about the confident thing. I'm just saying you've got a bad battery. Your bikes probably fine. If you've been watching this board for any length of time, you might have got an impression that there are sharp technicians and...not so sharp technicians. Swap a battery & get back with us. And again, no intention of flinging any insults...

·
Chard Member
13,417 Posts
It sounds like you should be riding a Harley.
You might be onto something. None of my Harley’s have needed to be on a trailer the last 8 years/160,000 miles except flat tires!

Hang in there OP. You might have a lousy dealer, not a lousy bike….

Don’t expect much from metric dealers. Waiting a week for a battery isn’t bad. Wait until you have issues and have to wait months for a part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m sure you meant that as an insult but as mentioned by others in this thread I never had to trailer my Harley back to the shop. After dropping the Goldwing off I did come home and pushed the button on my 2018 RoadKing special with original battery . You know what happened? I went for a ride

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Mak
I’m sure you meant that as an insult but as mentioned by others in this thread I never had to trailer my Harley back to the shop. After dropping the Goldwing off I did come home and pushed the button on my 2018 RoadKing special with original battery . You know what happened? I went for a ride
Make sure you arent putting your bike on the centerstand and then shutting it off.
The bikes ignition will remain on.
The rear wheel must be stopped completely.
On the centerstand the rear wheel will rotate enough to keep the ignition on.
Apply the e brake or shut it off on the side stand.
Also make sure you are shutting it off in neutral, not drive.
Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have a friend with a 2020 Road Glide HD had it for three months trying to fix the electrical problems in the end they remove everything and install a new complete wiring harness he's happy now took most of last summer, so anything man made can have troubles I hope they get you fixed up so you can be like some of the rest of the GW riders, and the brand can prove it self to you.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Maybe join a BMW K1600 forum. Plenty of bad attitude there. Testosterone leaking out all over the place. We may laugh, joke, and needle one another around here, but never disparage individually. NEVER. It's fair game to question Honda design, componentry, and assembly, but to dish on a manufacturer over third party sourced components (like a battery) is non-sensical. Living in Florida we barely get a year or two of battery life. Just the way it is. Go out, and buy a new battery. Honda has nothing to do with it. Get over it. :rolleyes:

Bullet Bob is a class act, and he is here to help us, not insult. Herding cats is not easy. "I’m sure you meant that as an insult..." -- Now that is insulting.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Mak

Make sure you arent putting your bike on the centerstand and then shutting it off.
The bikes ignition will remain on.
The rear wheel must be stopped completely.
On the centerstand the rear wheel will rotate enough to keep the ignition on.
Apply the e brake or shut it off on the side stand.
Also make sure you are shutting it off in neutral, not drive.
Hope this helps.:)
I never knew that. I always put my bike on the center stand and turn the handlebars to the far left and then turn the knob twice to lock the handlebars and wait for the three beeps telling me my bike is locked and totally shut off. I never had a drained battery from leaving the bike on.

Reactions: Captain Jim
1 - 20 of 236 Posts