GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
201 - 220 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have a manual, but I'm pretty sure the DCT should be put into neutral, and the parking brake set before shutting down. Check out this thread:

The parking brake does not have to be set before shut down. The operator can choose to do so, or not.

Tim

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Hang on...are you saying you have the DCT in "N", then hit the start button and the bike goes into "D" all by itself???

If so, that is the first I ever heard of this issue.
Yes and no . I am saying and if I could figure out how to provide the video I would, I turn the ignition on and within 2 seconds I hear a click and the bike shifts into 1st gear before I touch anything else.

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
86 Posts
Yes and no . I am saying and if I could figure out how to provide the video I would, I turn the ignition on and within 2 seconds I hear a click and the bike shifts into 1st gear before I touch anything else.
The more likely scenario is that it was in 1st when you shut it off. When you turn the ignition on to start the bike, the click you hear is the transmission trying to shift to neutral. It can't because of a light "bind". Moving the bike fore and aft relieves the bind and allows the transmission to shift to neutral, thus allowing the starter to operate.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
The more likely scenario is that it was in 1st when you shut it off. When you turn the ignition on to start the bike, the click you hear is the transmission trying to shift to neutral. It can't because of a light "bind". Moving the bike fore and aft relieves the bind and allows the transmission to shift to neutral, thus allowing the starter to operate.
I thought that could be the case but I also remembered that the bike shifts into neutral when the kickstand is put down or the bike is shut off. Both of those were confirmed happening by the dealer when I dropped the bike there today.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I thought that could be the case but I also remembered that the bike shifts into neutral when the kickstand is put down or the bike is shut off. Both of those were confirmed happening by the dealer when I dropped the bike there today.
There have been several reports of bikes NOT shifting back into neutral when turned off. But, no one has said it happens repeatedly.

With that said, the DCT owner's manual says put the bike into neutral BEFORE turning it off. So if you're just not putting it into neutral with the belief the bike will do it for you, that could be a contributing factor to your problem.

Reactions: Billt1NH

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
There have been several reports of bikes NOT shifting back into neutral when turned off. But, no one has said it happens repeatedly.

With that said, the DCT owner's manual says put the bike into neutral BEFORE turning it off. So if you're just not putting it into neutral with the belief the bike will do it for you, that could be a contributing factor to your problem.
You are correct page 127 in the owner's manual does say to put into neutral before shutting off the bike. Perhaps as you or someone else mentioned the automatic function did not take it out of gear at shut off or I did not put it into neutral prior to shut off and there was a load not allowing the gear engagement to be released until the bike was rolled. Now that was some helpful information thank you very much. My frustration has been loud as I really like the bike . I bought a new 2022 BMW Transcontinental just before the Goldwing ( It's now up for sale) and realized it was not a long distance bike for me. The Goldwing offered me all the comfort I was looking for but if I can't trust it it would be sold as well and back to Harley I go. People telling me I need to take extra batteries and jumper cables has done nothing for my confidence.

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing Tour 6 MT
257 Posts
The parking brake does not have to be set before shut down. The operator can choose to do so, or not.
I knew someone would question my procedure.

But since Bilt1NH is having trouble with the ignition staying on and draining the battery, my suggested procedure is to ensure the bike is in neutral and there is no motion with the wheels before shutting down.

But yes, you are technically correct, you don't have to set the parking brake. Just trying to give the best procedure so he has success with his issue.

Again, I have a manual and alway park it in 1st gear. If I had a DCT, I would always set the parking brake.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Thats not the way to shut the bike down, you are hanging up the transmission by shutting it off putting the kick stand down.
It might be okay for an accidental incidence, but not for everyday operation.
That is your problem, the trans is hanging up because of your neglect.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
But still thats not the correct way to turn off the bike, no matter if those safeguards are working.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Thats not the way to shut the bike down, you are hanging up the transmission by shutting it off putting the kick stand down.
It might be okay for an accidental incidence, but not for everyday operation.
That is your problem, the trans is hanging up because of your neglect.
Not necessarily. I recall a post in another thread where the DCT owner ALWAYS uses the side stand to shut down his bike. He doesn't have this issue.

The OP not following the owner's manual shutdown method MIGHT be a contributing factor to his issue.

Reactions: T-88

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Not necessarily. I recall a post in another thread where the DCT owner ALWAYS uses the side stand to shut down his bike. He doesn't have this issue.

The OP not following the owner's manual shutdown method MIGHT be a contributing factor to his issue.
Doesnt matter, some other owner is shutting it down the wrong way too. That doesnt make it right. He just has been lucky.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have a 2008, I turn key to off when I'm done riding. When I want to ride again, I turn key to ON and hit starter and go riding😉😉. Just saying
Yep, simplicity at its finest!!! I don't understand why Honda made the simple process of turning ON/OFF a bike so damn complicated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Its just learning the INs & Outs with the bike, if you had manual gear box before this is to be expected, I would always kick it down to 1st gear, kick stand down and turn it off, still to this day having to use the parking brake is still foreign.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
People telling me I need to take extra batteries and jumper cables has done nothing for my confidence.
Meh. 3 1/2 yrs, 47K + miles, and I'll take my 2018 anywhere. I carry jumper cables in case someone else needs a jump...or in case I do. Doesn't bother me one bit. My OE battery crapped out in 2020. I went to Batteries + and bought a new battery. Didn't waste a second thinking it should be covered under the 3 yr new bike warranty...it's an expendable item, just like tires and brakes. Now I almost always remember to connect the Battery Doc when I park it at home, whether it helps or not, IDK.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I knew someone would question my procedure.

But since Bilt1NH is having trouble with the ignition staying on and draining the battery, my suggested procedure is to ensure the bike is in neutral and there is no motion with the wheels before shutting down.

But yes, you are technically correct, you don't have to set the parking brake. Just trying to give the best procedure so he has success with his issue.

Again, I have a manual and always park it in 1st gear. If I had a DCT, I would always set the parking brake.
Thats a good practice, With my DCT I read the parking situation, if its level or slightly uphill., I reply on the kickstand to hold it, I did the same thing with my manual trans bikes too.:)

201 - 220 of 247 Posts