GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
221 - 240 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Geez......I've had a 2018+ Goldwing for over 3-years.
Never realized it was so darn complicated.......I must be doing something wrong. :geek:
I know, right?!

The pure pleasure I get riding it makes up for the air filter and valve check pain.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yes and no . I am saying and if I could figure out how to provide the video I would, I turn the ignition on and within 2 seconds I hear a click and the bike shifts into 1st gear before I touch anything else.
I don't understand the "yes and no" reply. Let me rephrase the questions being asked:

1. Is the bike in Neutral when the ignition is turned on, and before pressing the start button? (Yes/No/I don't remember)
2. If the answer to (1) is Yes, then does it switch to Drive all by itself when the ignition switch is turned on? If so, this is a failure of the tranny/tranny control logic - it should never switch to drive until commanded by the operator via the D/N switch for obvious reasons.

If you don't put the transmission in neutral yourself before you switch the ignition off, then the bike will "try" to put it in neutral before shutting down. Obviously, this may not work all of time - the manual has a procedure for putting the transmission in neutral if it fails to as described (rocking the bike back and forth to disengage the gears). In all fairness, my experience is that the automatic switch to neutral on shutdown is reliable, but I'm a sample size of one.

So then the question becomes - does the bike fail to start because the battery is bad, or is it failing to start because the transmission is already in drive when the start switch is pressed, either because it stayed in drive when previously shut down or the transmission is in neutral and then somehow switches to drive (by itself) after the ignition is turned on.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Geez......I've had a 2018+ Goldwing for over 3-years.
Never realized it was so darn complicated.......I must be doing something wrong. :geek:
Agree! Don't understand why people overcomplicate things. For Christ's sake you'd think they are splitting a beer atom. I just hop on the old 18 and go. When I stop I turn the knob counterclockwise twice and listen for the beep and I'm done.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
I don't understand the "yes and no" reply. Let me rephrase the questions being asked:

1. Is the bike in Neutral when the ignition is turned on, and before pressing the start button? (Yes/No/I don't remember)
2. If the answer to (1) is Yes, then does it switch to Drive all by itself when the ignition switch is turned on? If so, this is a failure of the tranny/tranny control logic - it should never switch to drive until commanded by the operator via the D/N switch for obvious reasons.

If you don't put the transmission in neutral yourself before you switch the ignition off, then the bike will "try" to put it in neutral before shutting down. Obviously, this may not work all of time - the manual has a procedure for putting the transmission in neutral if it fails to as described (rocking the bike back and forth to disengage the gears). In all fairness, my experience is that the automatic switch to neutral on shutdown is reliable, but I'm a sample size of one.

So then the question becomes - does the bike fail to start because the battery is bad, or is it failing to start because the transmission is already in drive when the start switch is pressed, either because it stayed in drive when previously shut down or the transmission is in neutral and then somehow switches to drive (by itself) after the ignition is turned on.
The battery has failed twice and the dealer has not been able to supply a new one. I was returning the bike today for the battery I purchased elsewhere to be installed. I am assuming the loud click I hear is the bike transitioning from neutral to 1st as it happens before the dash shows where its at. By the time the click happens and the dash energizes to what is shown is gear 1 Tour . The bike is now back at the dealer so I can run no further test . So hopefully I answered your question . My assumption and hope it is only a bad battery and I was unlucky enough to have it lock in gear when I shut it down. Given it has failed to start now multiple times with the first couple months of ownership I am concerned it goes beyond a bad battery. But we will see

·
Registered
411 Posts
The battery has failed twice and the dealer has not been able to supply a new one. I was returning the bike today for the battery I purchased elsewhere to be installed. I am assuming the loud click I hear is the bike transitioning from neutral to 1st as it happens before the dash shows where its at. By the time the click happens and the dash energizes to what is shown is gear 1 Tour . The bike is now back at the dealer so I can run no further test . So hopefully I answered your question . My assumption and hope it is only a bad battery and I was unlucky enough to have it lock in gear when I shut it down. Given it has failed to start now multiple times with the first couple months of ownership I am concerned it goes beyond a bad battery. But we will see
Understood - when I turn my bike on, I do hear a click as well, but then the display goes to N Tour (Not 1 Tour). Do you normally not put the tranny in Neutral before shutting down? Just trying to help, but I'm not convinced you have a bad battery problem (I'll admit you might, just not seeing conclusive evidence) - sounds like maybe your bike isn't very good at switching itself from D to N (especially if you don't manually switch to N before shutting down). How many miles on the bike? - maybe the tranny isn't fully broken in and the gears are still binding a little bit, inhibiting the auto switch to N.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Understood - when I turn my bike on, I do hear a click as well, but then the display goes to N Tour (Not 1 Tour). Do you normally not put the tranny in Neutral before shutting down? Just trying to help, but I'm not convinced you have a bad battery problem (I'll admit you might, just not seeing conclusive evidence) - sounds like maybe your bike isn't very good at switching itself from D to N (especially if you don't manually switch to N before shutting down). How many miles on the bike? - maybe the tranny isn't fully broken in and the gears are still binding a little bit, inhibiting the auto switch to N.
yes I normally put the bike in neutral. Riding 50 years with gears it's a habit as I always start the bike and let it warm up a minute while helmet gloves etc. Could I swear on a stack of bibles I did this time ? no but its a flat garage floor and there would have been zero stress on the transmission shutting it down. Thanks for your help and maybe this is part of the learning process. If it happens again and I all need to do is roll the bike it's fine. . Given the unreliability of it starting I'm hypersensitive to things going wrong now. Maybe if the dealer put a battery in the first time it might have cured all the ills and this 200 response thread may never have existed?

·
Registered
411 Posts
yes I normally put the bike in neutral. Riding 50 years with gears it's a habit as I always start the bike and let it warm up a minute while helmet gloves etc. Could I swear on a stack of bibles I did this time ? no but its a flat garage floor and there would have been zero stress on the transmission shutting it down. Thanks for your help and maybe this is part of the learning process. If it happens again and I all need to do is roll the bike it's fine. . Given the unreliability of it starting I'm hypersensitive to things going wrong now. Maybe if the dealer put a battery in the first time it might have cured all the ills and this 200 response thread may never have existed?
I don't blame you for being hypersensitive - unexplained occasional failures to start would concern me as well, and I have had a couple that I did figure out (one was simply inadvertently turning the fob off when it was in my pocket and I was fumbling around for something and another I think was hitting the start switch with the bike in accessory mode or something like that - it was a ways back and I don't quite remember what I did to goof it up, but it was equally dumb). Thing is when you or the dealer do figure it out it's usually kind of an "Oh, $hit" I can't believe it was that simple and life goes on. Ot it's a "Dang it I told you it was the battery why didn't you listen to me?"

I hope it works out - I'm sure it will. Just be aware the bike will not start if it is not in Neutral. Your comment that you are "assuming the loud click is the bike transitioning from N to 1 Tour" may be somewhat telling (it should not do that). I'm sure you know that it's a safety feature to inhibit the start if the bike is already in gear. But I could be misinterpreting what you are saying. But that's OK - it's how problems are eventually solved.

·
Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
926 Posts
Maybe if the dealer put a battery in the first time it might have cured all the ills and this 200 response thread may never have existed?
I think (and hope) you have your answer right there.

You've certainly had a lot of responses, some helpful, some not, some joking, some rude.

But I'm sure none of us want you to go back to Harley, or sell your bike for cheap, or have doubts about reliability. These are great bikes and besides a few quirks, are very reliable.

Hope it gets sorted soon so you can put it all behind you, and you get to enjoy the bike as you should.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
"Plus, no stinken batteries to worry about." LOL

I think the convenience out weights the battery worry by a lot. I spend $2.50 every spring and change my FOB battery. No battery worries after that. Plus I carry a spare 2032 in my unlocked cubby to give to GW FOB riders who may have an issue I find on the road in need.

Maybe we need a nuclear battery on the FOB and starting battery on the GW?! The lead liner would be heavy but no more battery threads. Might be worth it just for that.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Yes Mr. Honda made it too complicated.
They should offer a key system as an option, along with a non Nav bike too. :)
I would be in for that!!! My Note 20 is my Nav and infotainment center since it's so much better and the sound quality is amazing.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
9,666 Posts

I think the convenience out weights the battery worry by a lot. I spend $2.50 every spring and change my FOB battery. No battery worries after that. Plus I carry a spare 2032 in my unlocked cubby to give to GW FOB riders who may have an issue I find on the road in need.

Maybe we need a nuclear battery on the FOB and starting battery on the GW?! The lead liner would be heavy but no more battery threads. Might be worth it just for that.
We could also supply thinking caps for forgetful operators. lol

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Yep, I carry an extra 2032 as well. I can definitely go for an all nuclear Wing. Just think about it, unlimited mileage and cooking the macadamia nuts just like the police did with the radar guns back in the day. :)
Oh, the old Valkyrie doesn't need any 2032s.....

·
Registered
548 Posts
The bike has been at the dealer a few days now. Have they found the problem?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,619 Posts
Yep, simplicity at its finest!!! I don't understand why Honda made the simple process of turning ON/OFF a bike so damn complicated.
How is it complicated...with the DCT you simply put it in neutral before you shut the bike off..set the parking brake...pretty simple.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
How is it complicated...with the DCT you simply put it in neutral before you shut the bike off..set the parking brake...pretty simple.
I have no problems using the new system or the old fashioned key system. The issue, as we see on the forum, is people seem to have issues with the fob procedure. Maybe you forgot we live in a day and age where people don't want to have to think or take responsibility if they don't want to read the manual and comprehend how things work. The old fashioned key system is idiot proof, you put it in the ignition and turn. If you leave it in the ignition and don't turn it all the way off then walk away the blame is self explanatory.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I have no problems using the new system or the old fashioned key system. The issue, as we see on the forum, is people seem to have issues with the fob procedure. Maybe you forgot we live in a day and age where people don't want to have to think or take responsibility if they don't want to read the manual and comprehend how things work. The old fashioned key system is idiot proof, you put it in the ignition and turn. If you leave it in the ignition and don't turn it all the way off then walk away the blame is self explanatory.
Cant protect some people from themselves.

221 - 240 of 247 Posts