GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally did it. Just put on a Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55r/16 and set it to 38psi. Ive only had a chance to do about 15 min on it and initial impressions are good. The bike wants to stay upright and I haven't been brave enough to scrape pegs yet.
What pressures are you guys running in your c/t's and why? TPMS issues with lower pressures? Im running a 2012 GL1800, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
New

WELCOME to the Darkside. As you put on the miles you will understand why there are so many darkside riders on the roads. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
529 Posts
Welcome!
I am running about 34 psi and sometimes a little more on our Michelin.
Choosing this because the tire feels squirmy to me at less than 34 psi.
A pound or two can make a difference. Adjust and ride to what you may like and at the same time observe your tire wear.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
38#s is a little high for that tire, you will wear the center out before the edges. I suggest 32-34 unless your plan to ride aggressive in the twisties. When I was running that tire, I was 2up running 34-36lbs and we like a good pace.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
One more thought, is your tire the Run Flat version? Non Run Flats require more air and 38lbs might be alright.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
You have to ask yourself if you would run more than 32 psi in the tires on your cage. I know that I would not.

You live in a very hot climate and if you start out in the morning at 30 psi, by the time you have gone 20 miles your pressure may very well be up to 40 psi due to the air heat and even more if the road surface is hot enough to fry an egg.

Your passenger will truly appreciate a car tire with 28-30 psi much more than a motorcycle tire with 41 psi.

gramps

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
30-34 psi should be plenty pressure for that tire-- find the pressure in that range that you prefer.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Welcome enjoy the ride .

Buck

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:congrats: Welcome to the Darkside!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
IronMan
17,453 Posts
Welcome to ds . I run solo and dunnie rf / mich alpin/ and now wanli all at 26/27 to get wear even n center still goes first. Real flat here in fl

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
27 flatracking, 34ish in the mountains if it's the RF version! :thumbup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome from so cal. I put the alpin on last summer and started at 38psi and ended up at 32psi. Most of my riding here is hwy about 80% and one up. Really like the tire and will never go back to a MC tire. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
One more thought, is your tire the Run Flat version? Non Run Flats require more air and 38lbs might be alright.
RF 32
NRF 44
Nice starting points for my tires FYI cajunsniper

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry guys. It's NOT a run flat. Thank you for all the responses. What a great community!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
30 to 33 # on a runflat for me. The pressure goes up fast on hot days, not that we have those in Mn any more....

·
Registered
593 Posts
Welcome . . . I run my Alpin at 30 to 32 and it runs like a dream.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well if you've read the bejeebers thread you'll know I had a blow out at 80 mph yesterday
and was able to keep her up and got off the road I'm now in the market for a new rear tire
and I keep hearing about the evil "Darkside" LOL what are the pros and cons on the darkside ??
And it looks as if there are a lot of choice's tire wise ?? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Doug

Opp's thought I had started a new thread...my bad :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts