GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a broad question and of individual taste and likes but here goes anyway. I have been using the GMAX helmet 3/4 and am wondering if I can get a more comfortable fit helmet without paying the very high dollar amount that I see some them are asking. After a while, my helmet will cause my forehead to start hurting to the point that I have to stop and remove it for a while to relieve the pain. The helmet is not too tight at all. And sometimes my ear starts to hurt from something too and have to take care of that. Pretty much the same for my wife too. I've already inspected inside the helmets and all seems to be okay. Any suggestions out there. I've only been riding again for 3.5 years now so maybe you more experienced riders can tell me something new.

Big H

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
There are enough very good under $200 helmets out there to fit the needs of most. You will compromise some of the plushness the high dollar lids have but that is narrowing in margin, and brand isn't as weighty as it used to be. Go try them on or better yet find someone to do a proper fitting and go from there. It really is worth about any effort you put in to it, especially if you ride a lot.
Head shapes vary and the wrong one in a helmet is painful.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
TxRealtor is in the right ballpark...I'll add my 1/50th of a dollar to the discussion.

There's no reasonable way you can check a first-time helmet fit in a 20 or 30 minute trip to a motorcycle shop, or helmet store without some good knowledge ahead of the trip.

So, introductory level information: read this... http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

Now, you'll have some idea what shape your knoggin' really is! Does it make a difference? Oh, for most of us, you bet it does...and this is the secret of the adage "an inexpensive, well-fitting helmet could protect better than an expensive, poor-fitting helmet in the same circumstance."

Remember, you're wearing that lid for hours on end. At the end of a normal day, you really don't want it to be an irritable fit.

Now, on the lids you're presently using, if the lining will come out (many will - for cleaning), remove it, and using a softball or a baseball, rub the area that's causing the discomfort with the ball for 5-10 minutes; slightly compressing the foam. Put your lining back in, then check.

The problem with the ears? Your ear probably doesn't sit correctly in the 'ear pocket'...

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you for your input. My internet has been down and I just got it back to check on this question i put out there. I will do as both of you suggest and hopefully find the best fitting helmet at a good price.

Big H

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Big H for a follow up...don't think of a price of a helmet as a one-time expense, but estimate the use over a helmets lifetime of three to five years.

On my last lid, I used it for close to five years and nearly 50,000 miles. The one thing that I did notice was the noise level my old lid experienced, as compared to my new one...I should have done it sooner!

Hope this helps...

Sent from my teeny screen using my big fat fingers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts