GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Break-in oil... LOL! 300 miles, 500 miles... What is this, 1975? Sheesh... what a waste... :roll: :roll:
:roll:
WA,
You are dealing with us old-geezers here. We don't learn new tricks anymore :grin2:
I 'll be squeezing the clutch that ain't there for years after I get the DCT.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
WA,
You are dealing with us old-geezers here. We don't learn new tricks anymore :grin2:
Might as well get the six speed then and prevent your skills from deteriorating. :wink2:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Once you dump it in, it isn't "clean" anymore. It certainly isn't "clean" at 500 miles. :roll:

The funny thing is that you're doing the exact opposite what is reality. It's the piddling around commuting at home that is harder on the oil.

I argue against wasting oil.
I don't know WA, I think cranking that engine at 90mph day and day out through them super hot Summer days is more of a metal strain than my piddling around the rock I live on.

You can argue against that also my brother. I would accept your argument more readily if you start buying my oils though.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I don't know WA, I think cranking that engine at 90mph day and day out through them super hot Summer days is more of a metal strain than my piddling around the rock I live on.

You can argue against that also my brother. I would accept your argument more readily if you start buying my oils though.
That's why when people sell high mileage cars they always say "but those are mostly city miles" to make it sound better... LOL!

I think if someone else was buying your oil you'd actually use more. Or maybe your saying to like to waste your own money.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I am gonna come visit you in Montana and we are gonna drink beers while we change our oils...whether we need it or not. Your treat. >:)

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I am gonna come visit you in Montana and we are gonna drink beers while we change our oils...whether we need it or not. Your treat. >:)
You are welcome any time! Yes, my treat! :laugh:
:nojoke:

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
Break in is all about wearing in bearing components without creating hot spots on them. Overloading a bearing before it has run in can cause excess loads to create a hot spot on it and worse case, can even spin a bearing. The idea that the only thing that needs to be broken in on an engine is the rings and cylinder walls and that you need to wring the engine out is foolish. There are hundreds of components and surfaces in an engine that need to be broken in gently. Rod bearings, crankshaft bearings, camshaft bearings, transmission gears and components, cam chain and gears just to mention a few. Same goes for the brakes.

It's also a really good idea to fully heat cycle a new engine a few times. Bring it up to full temp over the course of 30-40 miles or so until the oil is at full temp, then let it fully cool off for 4 hours or more and repeat. A great way to do this is to commute to work for the first week, as this will get two full heat cycles on the bike per day. Let the bike heat up slowly and then cool off.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
WA,
If the Wing is the only bike you ride you will wonder why anyone would want a clutch within a month.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Break in is all about wearing in bearing components without creating hot spots on them. Overloading a bearing before it has run in can cause excess loads to create a hot spot on it and worse case, can even spin a bearing. The idea that the only thing that needs to be broken in on an engine is the rings and cylinder walls and that you need to wring the engine out is foolish. There are hundreds of components and surfaces in an engine that need to be broken in gently. Rod bearings, crankshaft bearings, camshaft bearings, transmission gears and components, cam chain and gears just to mention a few. Same goes for the brakes.

It's also a really good idea to fully heat cycle a new engine a few times. Bring it up to full temp over the course of 30-40 miles or so until the oil is at full temp, then let it fully cool off for 4 hours or more and repeat. A great way to do this is to commute to work for the first week, as this will get two full heat cycles on the bike per day. Let the bike heat up slowly and then cool off.
Boy... Fred, that would make a long fly and ride trip, say 1500 miles or so. My wife would be calling the morgues looking for me. LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also, engines need to use regular dino oil until surfaces a "broken in". Otherwise they will not seat properly for long term wear. Again, would follow mfg. recommendations.

Don’t want to start an oil debate, but as someone that worked for Exxonmobil for a decade and knew people on the team that developed Mobil 1, i can assure you that synthetic is not the magical elixir that many believe. ABSOLUTELY no issues for break-in running synthetic from day one.. as a matter of fact since ALL 0w-20 is synthetic – 99% of all new cars run with syn from day one.. The simplest way to describe synthetic is a cleaner, more stable dyno oil. Let the anecdotes begin

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Don’t want to start an oil debate, but as someone that worked for Exxonmobil for a decade and knew people on the team that developed Mobil 1, i can assure you that synthetic is not the magical elixir that many believe. ABSOLUTELY no issues for break-in running synthetic from day one.. as a matter of fact since ALL 0w-20 is synthetic – 99% of all new cars run with syn from day one.. The simplest way to describe synthetic is a cleaner, more stable dyno oil. Let the anecdotes begin
You don't want to start an oil debate??? what? you just wrote the word 'oil' buddy...the debate is on!

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
I did the Honda thing the first few humdred, then still a bit conserviative until the first oil change at four thousand. The next change at ten thousand, then every 5 thousand interval AND I am tossing good oil, but I can remember five thousand intervals. I have been changing the two filters each change too and the tranny filter was very dirty at four thousand, but has been nearly pristime clean since. So, I may go with Honda advice to change filters (or just the tranny filter) every other interval.

prs

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
The reason for doing an early oil change is to the get the metal that sheds off the bearings and gears out of the engine. If you look at the first couple oil changes in sunlight, you'll see all the metal flake in it. This metal can be abrasive and this is the reason for removing it from the engine early on. It will stop shedding metal after its fully broken in. So IN MY OPINION, it really is a good idea to do the first couple oil changes early.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
The reason for doing an early oil change is to the get the metal that sheds off the bearings and gears out of the engine. If you look at the first couple oil changes in sunlight, you'll see all the metal flake in it. This metal can be abrasive and this is the reason for removing it from the engine early on. It will stop shedding metal after its fully broken in. So IN MY OPINION, it really is a good idea to do the first couple oil changes early.
Is changing it "early" changing at a few hundred miles or a few thousand miles? How about the final drive? Should it also have an "early" oil change? I understand I'm asking for an opinion.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, I did the final drive oil change early. Probably not needed but it's only 140mls of oil (maybe 50 cents worth) and easy enough to do yourself.

Funny break-in situation... When I test rode a demo 2019 DCT, it only had 110km on the clock. I thrashed it both with full throttle starts in sport mode and hard braking (to test the ABS). How else do you get to know what a bike is capable of? The 2020 models were just arriving so the dealer offered a great price (more than $8000 off) on that 2019 demo. So I ended up buying that same bike I had been flogging the day before! No regrets, in fact after 7000km it's still getting better every day.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've personally watched Honda crank those things pretty hard when they were building them in OH... right off the production line. I generally don't race my bike around anyhow, but seriously doubt it would do any harm, even with low miles. The solid engineering, precision machining and great lubricants combined together with the computer engine management and I believe it is a pretty tough combination.

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
WA,
Never heard it called that before.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts