GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havn't seen this here before but it's all over my other board. Sorry if it's old news. Check out "Break-In Secrets" do a search by MotoMan. Too late for 1800 but will be my procedure in the future. This guy has some very good arguments for his methods.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I do not see a "MotoMan" listed on this board! could you send the link?

·
Registered
441 Posts
These are the words I lived by when breaking in my '04. So far everything he said has been true. We'll see what the oil looks like at 4000mi change. I'll bet it's a clear as it was at 150mi.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
My bike was a "dealer demo" unit, so this is probably how mine was broken in... :shock:

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Javern said:
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA
And your point is what? Seeing how much bandwidth you can waste?

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. According to this, there is no problem in doing it this way. It is under warranty just the same as yours, and I paid a whole lot less.

So, what's so funny?

G

·
mrgl02 said:
Javern said:
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA
So, what's so funny?

when I read your posting I had a vision of some kid jumping curbs and screaming down the freeway on the demo unit...then you come along and buy it. oh here it comes again HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.....no corn to watch this time of year so I just laugh at forum postings

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
no corn to watch this time of year so I just laugh at forum postings
Javern you have to admit sometimes this is better than watching the corn, especially when they give you so much to work with.

·
Vendor
22,232 Posts
So how is the oil comsumption on your 04? I broke my 02 in by heat cycling the engine, as I was taught the various components would try to warp a bit under heat and relieve internal stresses in them, and repeated heat cycling was the best way to relieve them. I did not run the engine in hard like this article reccomends.

My bike would consume about 2 cups of oil every 3k miles for the first 20K miles. Lately it seems to have stopped consuming oil (currently at 42K miles). I wonder if I had broken it in using this technique of the oil consumption would have been reduced. Comments?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Fred H. said:
So how is the oil comsumption on your 04? I broke my 02 in by heat cycling the engine, as I was taught the various components would try to warp a bit under heat and relieve internal stresses in them, and repeated heat cycling was the best way to relieve them. I did not run the engine in hard like this article reccomends.

My bike would consume about 2 cups of oil every 3k miles for the first 20K miles. Lately it seems to have stopped consuming oil (currently at 42K miles). I wonder if I had broken it in using this technique of the oil consumption would have been reduced. Comments?
Fred,
I have no oil usage in the 2500 mi. It stays full and clean (now).

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Man, I got to stop feeling like my bike is
alive. I would never run her hard like that.
I don't think she has ever been to far above
4,000 RPM. Since I sense my bike's strain,
which doesn't exist because it is not alive,
this is something the factory should do in
my opinion. I won't let her read this posting,
she'll buck me off.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I broke my 02 in the slow and vary the speed method. All wrong per Moto Man. Even so, Have never noticed any oil usage and change at 4K +/-. Don't think I could ever use any more power. I'm still going to break in different next time.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
<I would never run her hard like that.
I don't think she has ever been to far above
4,000 RPM. Since I sense my bike's strain>

Herb - did you ever figure that your bike was really wanting to tell you that you should let her RIP??!!??!!
If you've never had your bike over 4,000 RPM's then in all fairness to you're bike you need to. Believe me that is not a strain you hear from the bike as it goes above 5500 RPM's that pure happiness and it likes it, and often....

It's not as delicate as you make it, far from it, and handles it quite nicely and easily.

DaleC

1 - 18 of 18 Posts