GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my new 2016 Wing a couple weeks ago, I vaguely remember the dealer mentioning something about a break-in service after just a few hundred miles (600 seems to stick in my head for some reason??). But I can’t seem to find anything in the manual about it. The first service listed is at 4000 miles for oil and filter and a cleaning of the crankcase breather. Am I missing something. They sold several brands and frankly, the salesman didn’t seem too knowledgeable about Goldwings. He struggled getting it started until he realized that the start position of the key was before the ACC position. ?. So maybe he was mixed up with another bike or something. I don’t think he was necessarily trying to scam me because I don’t think he would expect me to bring it from over 4 hours away for routine service. Anyways, I figured I’d ask here. I just don’t want to miss something that would invalidate my extended warranty right out the gate.

Thanks!
Bob E.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
No actual 600 mile service. Follow the recommendations in the manual. The only thing I would really look at right away is the final drive fluid. Do not change it yet if low. Just add some (if needed). The dealer should have checked everything before you bought it, but it sounds like the dealer is clueless.

If you plan on doing your own maintenance, keep all the receipts.

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Be sure to do this, and then follow the maintenance schedule as outlined in the Owner's Manual.

BREAK-IN GUIDELINES: HELP ASSURE YOUR WING'S FUTURE RELIABILITY AND PERFORMANCE BY PAYING EXTRA ATTENTION TO HOW YOU RIDE DURING THE NEXT 300 MILES. DURING THIS PERIOD, AVOID FULL THROTTLE STARTS AND RAPID ACCELERATION.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Paperwork from selling dealer for my new 2016 last week mentions the 600 mile break in service.

It's an oil change, just do it.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Some motorcycles still have a 600 mile service.

Some have a multiple service and usage restriction periods. (family member has a japanese bike like this).

Goldwings first recommended service is the 4000 mile one, and modest restrictions for a break-in period:

During the first 300 miles (500 km) of
running, follow these guidelines to ensure
your motorcycle’s future reliability and
performance.
● Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid
acceleration.
● Avoid hard braking and rapid downshifts.
● Ride conservatively.

Not really all that surprising given they are an 1800cc that only makes about 100/100 hp/tq.

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Why would you trust a dealer (who just wants to sell extra services for $$$) over the engineers who designed the motorcycle?

I’ll stick with the service manual. I suggest others do the same.
The break-in guidelines are actually in the Owner's Manual. I too would follow Honda guidelines and not a dealers guidance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts