GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold our 1996 1500 and will take delivery of an '07 the second week of January in Arizona. Any recommendations out there on "break in" i.e normal riding, hard riding, etc.? Also, miles driven before it's time for an oil change after "break in"? Semi-synthetic, synthetic, etc?

Thanks in advance for your input....

Gene in Alaska

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Based on some of the problems reported by some owners, I think you might want to read the owner's manual before taking delivery of the bike and read up on the break-in procedures as suggested by Honda...

P

·
0 Posts
break-in

this is my third Goldwing,plus one KW1500, a Yamaha1700, and I would ride it just as I want too, Just keep ajusting the speed from time to time, and not put it over 75, for the first 300 miles and up the top end to 80, never hold the some speed, it's heard running 60 and then low down to 4o for a few miles, also I don't wind it up to high, after 500 miles, just ride it....a goldwing is like a good woman...love it and care for it...and it will love you back....my first one I rode for 15 years...and the guy I sold it to in 02 is still riding it with NO trouble...I change my Oil ever 3500 miles....it cost a little more...but in the long run..you get it back...be safe and good riding

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Honda break-in oil has some additives they like to remain in the bike for at least 500 miles, and longer is personal choice. Most change the oil at about that point just to get any metal particles out. Also do the same with the rear end oil.

Then you get into the big controversy on synthetic vs dino, Amsoil vs Mobil 1 vs Rotella, ad infinitum. Even though the book says dino oil over 8000 miles, most change at the 3-5k range, most use synthetic, and most use just a stock OEM filter.

I have never seen an engine fail for any oil or filter related problem, so do what your comfort level tells you to. I would just stay away from a toilet paper filter and peanut oil.

And stand back - here come the opinions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts