GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how most of you Gold Wing riders Broke in your bike when buying new. Did you take it easy on it for a while, or did you just ride it like you stole it???

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I think all will agree that it is important you don’t lug it. Ie too low revs etc. I use gentle acceleration and run higher revs and a lower gear for the first 300 or so. Not at a constant speed with plenty of roll off decal in the mix. Change out the oil early and put a new filter on as well. I don’t think it hurts to roll it up and back providing it’s not hard out acceleration.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Just wondering how most of you Gold Wing riders Broke in your bike when buying new. Did you take it easy on it for a while, or did you just ride it like you stole it???
Kept it under a 100mph in the dealership parking lot. Then once I got on the highway home.....well I have not looked back since.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Put gas in it, aimed for the next state, and rode the snot out of it. Still running and that's all that matters to me. Oh, I bought it in the middle of Texas.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
No break-in procedures or early oil changes are specified or recommended in the manual.

I got on mine and rode it 300 miles home at the speed limit which was 70 - 80 mph.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Manual... always.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Just curious. For those who break in by the book, what kind of gas mileage are you getting. I typically get 44-45 and broke it in harder than by the book. I broke my new Triumph in using Pat McGervin's method (hard on/hard off the throttle) and am getting 51 mpg on my second tank of gas. Most who break theirs in by the book are getting low 40s at best.
Not trying to start an argument, just giving another data point.

Pete

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I know what MY manual says. Don't know if they change over the years regarding this issue but I know other parts change.

The problem is that with NEW bike you don't get the manual until you get the bike. And nobody is going to sit and read the manual when the new bike is sitting there ready to go. I know I didn't. I read it later. And I had to ride about 150 miles to get home from where I bought it... but I took several detours, of course.

Mine simply says to avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration during the first 300 miles.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ride it like you stole it.....its a Honda.....all they need is gas and tires....

Rip
2008 Motortrike

·
Registered
792 Posts
If you ever had a chance to make the plant tour when it was still open in Ohio, you wouldn't hesitate to take it off the showroom floor and put it through its paces. Every bike coming off the line, Wing and V-twin alike, started with engine assembly, bike build, then was full-throttle tested all the way up thru red line before heading off to crating. In today's world, just about every motorized vehicle coming off the assembly line can be operated out-of-the-box without the break-in period most of us remember doing in years gone by.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I bought my bike I asked the Honda Service Manager that same question and he said the bike was ready to go and no break-in was recommended or required. He suggested taking it easy and getting use to the bike since I had never ridden a bike that heavy, but that was a limitation on me, not the bike. So I practiced in the Sunrise Honda parking lot in Arkansas for two and a half hours then headed home for the 557 mile trip to my driveway.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well I might consider what the manual says but in those first few rides with any new bike, I really want to hear the pegs scrape and eliminate the chicken strips. :22yikes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
What about taking passenger during break in

My young bride wants to go with me to pick-up new 2012. It is 900 miles back home. Is this an issue of concern for the first 1000 mile ride?

2007 GW ABS

1 - 20 of 28 Posts