GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vendor
16,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are the circumstances. A guy buys a used 2008 and an aftermarket extended warranty. He rides it for 4 months experiencing an occasional transmission hiccup, that then becomes reproducible almost over night. The insurance company denies his claim saying that he must have been abusing it. He escalates it asking, how are you able to say that the transmission didn't have damage prior to me purchasing the Wing ??? With that argument, the insurance company has now agreed to pay for the repair.

For anyone who doesn't know, usually aftermarket insurance companies denies 5th gen transmission claims on 5th gens by saying "of corse we don't insure known issues."

·
Vendor
16,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Greg, that doesn't sound like you've been given the whole story... Surely a claim like that implies that the aftermarket warranty covered damage which was present before the warranty was purchased. I guess the warranty could be in place by the previous owner and transferrable to the present owner but it still sounds a bit of a tall story to me. If you find out more, come back and tell us.

·
Vendor
16,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greg, that doesn't sound like you've been given the whole story... Surely a claim like that implies that the aftermarket warranty covered damage which was present before the warranty was purchased. I guess the warranty could be in place by the previous owner and transferrable to the present owner but it still sounds a bit of a tall story to me. If you find out more, come back and tell us.
I don't think the insurance coverage was transferred, but I'll try and find out. I believe the new owner is claiming that the insurance company unknowingly chose to insure a Wing that already had damage to the transmission, and now that the damage is showing up, it should be covered. The benefit of doubt then falls on the insurer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts