GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If everything goes right, I'll be in Bridgeport on Monday for most of the week for my job. Be on the 'Wing!! :excited: Any good roads I can ride in the evenings while I'm there? Sights to see?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Go east young man. Actually take US 50 east as far as you want to go if yuo make it to Mt. Storm, it's right on 50 go straitght thru "town" it's small at the bottom of the mountain turn right go till the road ends turn right go up the mountain at the top turn left on WV 93 to Davis at the end of that one turn right go to Thomas cross the river on left and go to Elkins then back to Bridgeport. That's just one I got off the top of my head but any two lane that is paved will work.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Here is a short one. I79 north to exit 137. Take rt 310 to Grafton. Lots of curves. Another is Rt 250 north out of Fairmont, take it to rt 7 and then double back to Morgantown and I79. Rt 20 north from Clarksburg is great for curves and you can cut over to Mannington and back to Bridgeport. Rt 119 south out of Grafton is another winner. You can hit the interstate at Weston and right back to Bridgeport. There are plenty more. You are right in the middle of some great riding.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
As DWATC said US-50 is a very good road to play on, but let me add wile you're on US-50 east bound and when you come to,

US-119/US-250 South ya might want to ride this one too... Both are very good roads but when they split, US-250 is the better of the two, stay on it...

Go south on I-79 to Weston and take US-33 East really if you go east or west on US-33 you will not be disappointed...

Do US-50 or US-33 east over to US-219 and take it south...

All of the above if you stay on them long enough, will take you through some of the most beautiful country filled with hills and twisties and you'll end up at the Virginia line...

I-79 north to US-250 west is also a good ride...

Here's a URL of my West Virginia page at my web site that has lots of good maps on it that are all top notch roads to ride...

http://thewvacardinal.com/west_virginia

The only real problem I see is you are talking about riding in the evening after work, well these roads are so good that you will not want to stop riding at dark...

Be very careful of all of the deer that are out... You'll see!!!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I made it in yesterday evening. W Va Cardinal, I've already done one of the routes on your web site, Charleston north to Bridgeport on I-79. I think that's the most curvy interstate that I've ever been on. Can't wait until I can get out and start exploring! If anyone see's a Titanium Goldwing with Texas plates, that'll probably be me.

Thanks again,
David

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I made it in yesterday evening. W Va Cardinal, I've already done one of the routes on your web site, Charleston north to Bridgeport on I-79. I think that's the most curvy interstate that I've ever been on. Can't wait until I can get out and start exploring! If anyone see's a Titanium Goldwing with Texas plates, that'll probably be me.

Thanks again,
David
Be looking for you wile out playing...

Glad you like our roads, that's part of the reason our state is called "Almost Heaven West Virginia."

I haven't check each mile of our roads, but I feel sure there's more than 10,000 miles of good motorcycle roads in our state!!!
:bow: :bow:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just looking thru my handy-dandy map I got at the Welcome Center. If I decide when I leave to cut across Hwy 50 over to Winchester, head south down Skyline Drive and on down BRP to Roanoke, how long can I expect that ride to be?

Also, some of my business is taking me to Buckhannon on Hwy 33. Judging by your comments above, there are some nice roads between Bridgeport and Buckhannon!!!

Thanks again,
David

·
DSI Keeper
9,167 Posts
If you ride all day at the posted speed limit, you will not be able to make a round trip. If you plan that trip, I can make some recommendations for the return. VA Rt 311 and US 210 come to mind. Travelin and I rode this route last weekend.

On your trip to Buchannon, you can slab it on I-79 & US 33 (4 lane all the way) or you can head toward Clarksburg and pick up WV Rt 20 south. Two lane twisties all the way. Decisions, decision. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you ride all day at the posted speed limit, you will not be able to make a round trip........... Decisions, decision. :shrug:
Thanks, Murgie. I was trying to plan my return trip home. I was wandering how long it would take to get to Skyline Dr and BRP then head to the house after hitting Roanoke.... If it takes too long, I may just have to wait for another time to do them.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
It's a long day but well worth it. The Skyline is I think 45 mph, slow going but you don't want to miss it. To get to Buckhannon I would suggest 50 to Grafton and then 119 south. Probably a couple hours or less. If pressed for time Then I79 south to the Stonewood exit and 20 south. If you decide not to do the Skyline a quicker trip would be to go to Elkins and then either 219 or 92 south. Almost as pretty and normal speed limits. You will only see police in the larger towns so you can fly if you want. Do be careful on 33 in the 4 lane as the police are very active from Weston to Elkins. I'll be in Roanoke heading north on that route this weekend. I know 219 is in good shape this year not sure about 92. Look on your map for the Monogahela National Forest. Any road in the forest is a good ride.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Dave,

If you go US-50 E to I-81 S to I-66 E to Front Roil VA and get on the Skyline Drive in the south end of town and get off at US-33 W and back to Buckhannon and take SR-20 N to I-79 to US-50 and you stay somewhere around the speed limit it will take you about 9.25 hours to make the loop, and you’d cover about 410 miles...

The speed limit is only 35 on the Skyline Drive...

If you have the time to devote to this ride this would be an extremely beautiful and exciting ride...

If you elect to go on down to Roanoke VA the SLD will turn into the BRP just before you cross over I-64 and you will need to take SR-24 W to US-220 W to I-81 S to SR-311 NW to I-64 W to US-60 W to US-219 N back up to Elkins and US-33 W to SR-20 to I-79 N to US-50 and back to Buckhannon..

Now you’re talking about an IBR here, it may not have the miles but you’ll know you been there...

Time about 15.25

Miles about 625

Personally if I had the time and if it were me and I really wanted it see the SLD I’d opt for the first part I have in Red, and take a second day and do another good ride...

Day two, Hop on US-50 E to US-250 S and stay on it until you come to I-81 in VA, (I don’t like I-81 at all but it’s the fastest way to get down south) To I-64 W to US-60 at White Sulphur Springs and go West to US-219 N back up to US-50 W and back to Buckhannon...
This is about a 9.5 hour ride.

And about 480 miles...

I know these routes look like a long way but for you to see the maximum in the little time you have here there’s not too many other ways...

Even if all you did was take US-50 and ran over to Wenchester VA and back it will take you about 5.45 hours and the ride will be about 280 miles, but your smile will reach all the way back to Texas... When you ride US-50 it does need repair more so than most of our other roads... Be careful...

All of our twisties are long rides and not just a few miles long...

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Go east young man. Actually take US 50 east as far as you want to go if yuo make it to Mt. Storm, it's right on 50 go straitght thru "town" it's small at the bottom of the mountain turn right go till the road ends turn right go up the mountain at the top turn left on WV 93 to Davis at the end of that one turn right go to Thomas cross the river on left and go to Elkins then back to Bridgeport. That's just one I got off the top of my head but any two lane that is paved will work.
I did this route today after work, but in reverse. I left from Buckhannon after work and went to Elkins (Hwy 219 and 93) and up to 50. That was a nice 4 hour ride!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sorry I missed this one. Have not been on much lately.

How much longer are you going to be in the area?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I did this route today after work, but in reverse. I left from Buckhannon after work and went to Elkins (Hwy 219 and 93) and up to 50. That was a nice 4 hour ride!!
Glad you enjoyed it and you probably rode right by my old home and the high school I graduated from.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Sorry I missed this one. Have not been on much lately.

How much longer are you going to be in the area?
Hey Randy, I check your board once in a while to see what's going on! And to anyone visiting your area , I can tell you that it is a great place to ride. My friends and I enjoy the good roads and the hospitality of the people in W.V.
We were led on some great roads by Mike, Wayne and Larry from Elkins and Randy provided us with some maps that were really great!
All in all, a place that we intend on going year after year!!
We also met Murgie and Travelinlite while we were there. I only wish we would have had more time to spend with them! Oh well, maybe next time around!... Gil

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes it does Murgie only it's much larger than when I was there even though it is the smallest high school in the state. I was in the first graduating class '68

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you off tomorrow???

If so and it not raining I can come up that way and we can meet and go for a ride???
I'll be working both Saturday and Sunday until about 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I'm moving from Bridgeport to Buckhannon today so if you want to meet me in Buckhannon I would enjoy going for a ride.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts