GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A second good friend in recent weeks has sustained injuries and severe bike damage as a result of a Bridgestone rear tire failure. A third had tire failure but no damage.

The recent one was this week and the rider is in ICU in Denver.

This seems to be worse than the Metzler failures and I would like to ask riders who have had Bridgestone rear tire failures to post here or eMail me at [email protected]

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sandy just called from the hospital and I am trying to get her some help now. Bike will be brought to Littleton tomorrow. She said they sensed a tire problem and started slowing down but it exploded and dropped on the rim and the handlebar broke his ribs and they punctured organs.

Don't have details yet. Sounds like we have a general problem.

·
Registered
19,457 Posts
Sorry about your friends--hope they recover fully

Tom not to start a debate but I have used Mezlers for 61,000 miles of riding with no issues and have has issues with Dunlops D250s, Stones on the front and E3s singing to me after 3K(pre Traxxion).

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Tom. Thanks for letting us know!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Please be careful with your position. Three does not make a trend or industry problem. Many of us have Bridgestones and have no issues. Bridgestone makes more than 100 tires. 3% would be a problem...

·
Banned
208 Posts
That is interesting, I had the same issues with the Rocket Touring and Bridgestone tires, triumph did a recall and replace everyone's tires with a different tire all together. Mine delaminated from the inside out...

·
Banned
2,340 Posts
Sorry to hear this Tom. Prayers sent from Georgia.

I can only relate to this Bridgestone problem. I have had 2 Bridgestone rear tires delaminate on me in a one year time frame. I now run a Kumho RF and I feel more comfortable knowing I am a lot safer.

The dealer who replaced the last one with no questions asked, told me that installers are not being careful when mounting the tires. The smallest little tare on the tires bead will cause moisture to enter the tire and over a short amount of time will cause it to separate. This problem has a lot to do with heating and cooling the condensation build up. I feel Bridgestone is not the problem here.

I am damn lucky they did not blow out on me.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Not so sure about that, If a motorcycle company decide to drop bridgestone tires on all their bikes then there must be a problem with bridgestone...

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hi Tom:

Sorry for your friends situation. I hope it is not too serious and all heal and ride again.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

I can only relate to this Bridgestone problem. I have had 2 Bridgestone rear tires delaminate on me in a one year time frame. I now run a Kumho RF and I feel more comfortable knowing I am a lot safer.

The dealer who replaced the last one with no questions asked, told me that installers are not being careful when mounting the tires. The smallest little tare on the tires bead will cause moisture to enter the tire and over a short amount of time will cause it to separate. This problem has a lot to do with heating and cooling the condensation build up. I feel Bridgestone is not the problem here.

Fred were you beads ripped?..

Also do not think moisture is the problem at least not in a tire that has not been sitting up for about 5 years with a ripped bead.. Usually a tire that has a ripped bead to the metal ( then air can get in between the rubber and metal & develop an air pocket) And cause a separation

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sandy just called from the hospital and I am trying to get her some help now. Bike will be brought to Littleton tomorrow. She said they sensed a tire problem and started slowing down but it exploded and dropped on the rim and the handlebar broke his ribs and they punctured organs.

Don't have details yet. Sounds like we have a general problem.
No details yet, but you blame the tire ??? This is not like you, Tom.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yikes I just put a B/S rear on this past weekend...hope recovery is quick for
your friend!

·
Banned
2,340 Posts
Fred were you beads ripped?..

Also do not think moisture is the problem at least not in a tire that has not been sitting up for about 5 years with a ripped bead.. Usually a tire that has a ripped bead to the metal ( then air can get in between the rubber and metal & develop an air pocket) And cause a separation
Not to steal the thread but I also think it is important to bring up these kinds of issues with out debate.

To answer your question, yes, and if you were to look almost exactly across where those tears were, that was the problem area. Your thoughts are right on.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Prayers to your friends.
I really hope we not going to start seeing bad Bridgestone tires.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

Not doubting what the dealer said, but there is moisture in the air we put in our tires.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Another thing to consider are impact breaks,Hitting pot holes & such can create an impact break which will cause a tire separation also.You can look on the inside of a tire and actually see bruising from the impact..

Tom Give you friends,a get well from us here in Ga..Hope all goes well for them & there family's.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Sorry to hear about the situation... hoping bodies heal well and quick!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts