GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of success are you new 'Wing owners having with the Bridgestone 704 OEM tire for the rear? Is it a decent choice for a replacement tire for a '10 ABS running Centramatics?

Thanks
Johnny S

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The 704 'stone should have been the OEM tire for all years of the 1800. If I am ever forced to leave the darkside I'll go back to that tire.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Good tire. Wears quickly

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Good tire. Wears quickly
I get right at 10k out of the rear tire. It grips well in wet, and dry conditions. I run centramatics as well. It is my favorite tire I have run on the rear. I have tried Avon 60 and 70 series, Dunlop 250's, and Dunlop E3's. The other tires 'might' get more wear, but I want a tire that will stick in all conditions and the 704 fits the bill.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I get right at 10k out of the rear tire. It grips well in wet, and dry conditions. I run centramatics as well. It is my favorite tire I have run on the rear. I have tried Avon 60 and 70 series, Dunlop 250's, and Dunlop E3's. The other tires 'might' get more wear, but I want a tire that will stick in all conditions and the 704 fits the bill.
Agreed, but I get more than 15K; changing probably sooner than needed. (I'm a paranoid about being caught out with a flat.)

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Tire wear even for the same brands seem to vary widely. Some get 15k+ like me, others get 8k. Not sure what I am doing differently but I ride 2up 99% of the time and below 70mph since I run back roads mostly. I have always run Dunlops and like them but just had new Stones put on since allot on here seem to like them. First impression after riding only 150 miles, I like the Dunlops better.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Tire wear even for the same brands seem to vary widely. Some get 15k+ like me, others get 8k. Not sure what I am doing differently but I ride 2up 99% of the time and below 70mph since I run back roads mostly. I have always run Dunlops and like them but just had new Stones put on since allot on here seem to like them. First impression after riding only 150 miles, I like the Dunlops better.
I hope your results turn out better than mine were, but wait until you get ~7K-8K on them. That's when they really show their difference.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Agreed, but I get more than 15K; changing probably sooner than needed. (I'm a paranoid about being caught out with a flat.)
WOW! 15K out of that tire.:bow: I just put my 4th rear tire on, and am at 40k miles. One of them I changed out early because I was leaving on a trip, and didn't want to replace it mid-trip. Last tire I removed was worn beyond what I'm comfortable with. My riding is 99% one up, and lots of twisty riding. I'm not the fastest rider, but not the slowest either. Numbers for mileage are always all over the board. It has a lot to do with road surface, speed, and type of riding.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Just installed a set of stones. Been running E3's and getting great mileage out of them(15k + out of both tires riding two up pulling a trailer). I hope the stones do as well.

Fred

·
Registered
902 Posts
WOW! 15K out of that tire.:bow: I just put my 4th rear tire on, and am at 40k miles. One of them I changed out early because I was leaving on a trip, and didn't want to replace it mid-trip. Last tire I removed was worn beyond what I'm comfortable with. My riding is 99% one up, and lots of twisty riding. I'm not the fastest rider, but not the slowest either. Numbers for mileage are always all over the board. It has a lot to do with road surface, speed, and type of riding.
I think of myself as a slightly more aggressive than average rider, but when I go out with others and they're leading, I know that they are quicker off the starts. I'm also a bit easier on the brakes. I don't know if either matters. Otherwise, pretty average riding either 1 or 2 up. I did the almost 11K USA ride (towing the trailer), started out on new tires, and still didn't need to change the back tire for several thousand miles after we got back. I'm about to change the Bridgestone front tire now at almost 20K.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Like I said good tire. I get around 8k. Probably why I use CTs

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Just so happens I took a off a 704 yesterday. Actually rode it well past where I should have replaced it and only had 3,989 miles on it. I seldom get anywhere near the mileage on any tire that some folks here do but.... less than 4,000 miles and it was complete toast..:eek:4: (Yes, properly inflated and checked regularly. worn fairly evenly from one side to the other with a little cupping on the edges)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Is it me or is there something completely wrong here...how can one person get 15K an dother get 8 K and yet another get only 4K.....I would take it back if it only got 4K ..that's rediculous unless you are running on chip seal constantly or gravel roads or doing burn outs I think.

Jer

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
some change there's out at 7000 no matter what.:shrug:

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have a new set of bridgestones about to go on my Wing... soon as I get that "pin hanger" out of the caliper...
HOPEFULLY they last alot more than 4K miles...:roll:

·
Banned
792 Posts
I am amused at the varying mileage some get as well. I have 7800 miles on mine and I can go another 1000 or so but it is beginning to cup on the edges and the wear bars are close to contact. I am going on a trip in a couple months so I plan on changing it before that. I like the tire however.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Like I said good tire. I get around 8k. Probably why I use CTs
You ride a little more agressive than I do, which likely accounts for the lower mileage you get. I've slowed down a bit, but am not the slow-poke in the group. Also, some will wear a tire to the wear bars, and others will replace when the wear bars are close. I'm always worried because the last few thousand miles seem to wear quicker. When I got back from Death Valley my tire was shot. I didn't even feel safe riding it to the dealer to get it replaced.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Is it me or is there something completely wrong here...how can one person get 15K an dother get 8 K and yet another get only 4K.....I would take it back if it only got 4K ..that's rediculous unless you are running on chip seal constantly or gravel roads or doing burn outs I think.

Jer
Not really that surprising...when I was a teenager, my tires on my trruck lasted about 15K miles. Now I can get 60K out of them.

Fast starts, quick stops, cornering hard and accelerating quickly out of corners is VERY fun, but also VERY hard on tires. A guy riding casually not accelerating hard and braking slowly should easily get 2X the mileage of a guy that is pushing the bike all the time.

I guess I'm in the middle....I have to ride 400+ miles to get to a decent road where I can push the tire so a typically 1000 mile trip for me is 400 miles of taking it easy followed by 200 miles of burning up the tire followed by 400 miles easy to get home. I guarantee I burn more tire in the 200 miles of twisties than I do in the 800 mles of getting there and back.

Back to the original question...I've ran both Dunlop E3's and Bridgestone 704/709 and I much prefer the Bridgestones to the Dunlops.

PS...I don't know how many miles a Dunlop lasts. They cup so bad that the singing in the corners is unbearable to me at about 6K.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

Jer
That's why it is complete folly to try and compare mileage one gets out of a given tire with what someone else gets and draw a conclusion on what kind of mileage YOU may get, or think you should get. I wish I could "take it back" because it got barley 4,000 miles. Take it back and tell them what? It's worn out, not defective.

It would be much more useful when trying to compare and judge tire mileage to know how much longer (or less) a given tire lasts as compared to other tires the same rider under the same condition has gotten. I ran car tires on my Wing for a couple of years or so, maybe longer. A car tire gave me about 30-40% (give or take) more mileage than most motorcycle tires. Ran through 4 or 5 CT's and probably averaged about 8,000 miles each on them. The B'stone 704 wore out faster than any motorcycle tire I have run.

It is also an exercise in futility to judge prospective tire wear based on what a poster says about his "riding style".
What one person describes, or considers "aggressive riding" may be far from what another would consider it to be. You just have to try different tires and compare them on YOUR bike, the way YOU ride and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
It is also an exercise in futility to judge prospective tire wear based on what a poster says about his "riding style".
What one person describes, or considers "aggressive riding" may be far from what another would consider it to be. You just have to try different tires and compare them on YOUR bike, the way YOU ride and see what works best for you.
Well said. I've ridden with several people in this thread, so I know their riding styles. The only true apples to apples comparison is for YOU to ride the different tires and find what works for you. Also, different people replace their tires at different points in wear. Some wait until it hits the wear bars. Some will use them until they show cords. Some replace them based on age.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts