GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you using the Brigestone 851 front and 850 rear tires as a set successfully on the Wing? How do they compare to the Elite III's?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Skip,

I installed these early in the winter and so far I love the tires. Took off a very worn / cupped set of E3s so my comparison is to worn out tires.

The bridgestones definitely feel lighter, not as much stering input needed. Steering feels quicker. I put the 70s on the rear so the back of the bike now sits up a little more. Both tires rub the floor with the bike on the center stand, but they did the same with the 70 E3 that I had before. The bridgestones are also very quiet. Hope they will stay that way. Cant beat the price. Hal had them on sale for about $225. Haven't checked lately but I intend to get another set soon as I am headed to Alaska in May. I don't want to be looking for tires right before I take off.

There is another on the board "IRHarry" that has used the same tire. Not sure if he is still active but it my be worth doing a search and contacting him.

Good Luck

·
Registered
453 Posts
Have just over 7500 miles on mine, like them but have a slight decel wobble and the rear is wearing. Will have to replace it around 9000. Probably the wear on the rear is due to pulling a trailer 4500 miles this last summer. Grip dry and wet are good, keep 41 psi in them and check before every ride. Never ran the E-3's so I can't compare. I would buy them again.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Skip - I have the 850/851s on the bike. Set before that was the ME 880 70 series VTX tires, and 5 sets before that were ME 880 60 series Wing tires. So I cannot compare to the Elite III tires.

But Jay pretty much covers it. They are rated for more weight than the Elite III, for a higher speed than the Elite III, but are designed for the VTX. They have less tread depth than the Elite III, are larger in diameter, softer rubber, and fewer tread plies than the Elite III.

My experience with them says they wear out faster than the ME 880 wing tires, the ride better, more ground clearance, better handling, a LOT smoother, and very quiet. I will get about 10000 miles out of these, compared to 13000 to 14000 out of the ME 880s, but am more than happy to trade the tire life for the ride-ability. And, at $225 per set delivered, price is a tough act to follow. The lower cost combined with the lower tread life makes the cost per mile about a push.

I have right at 9000 miles on mine, they are scalloping in the rear but the noise has not started yet, I still have 2/32s above the wear bars on the rear, 4/32s on the front, run 42/42, ride 2 up 95%, pull a trailer 50%, but usual speeds are under 60 (no freeways in our area).

In a nutshell, I like them well enough to have two more sets squirreled away.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for coming up, Harry. Dale Croy had mentioned that you were happy with them and I am glad to see others are as well. I definitely like the grip and quiet answers and with the price I won't mind changing more often. At least they are available.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I used an 850 on the rear...I thought is was a superb grip tire...only thing, I took it off cause it made my rear higher...still in the garage waiting for me to get the courage to get into the altitude again...

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
skipreb said:
Are any of you using the Brigestone 851 front and 850 rear tires as a set successfully on the Wing? How do they compare to the Elite III's?
I ran a set for 3000 miles, took them off because they squirmed at high speeds and the rear end was very unstable. I didn't think they were safe to ride on anymore. Replaced them with ME 880 metzlers..LOVE them..

later..Randy

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
INTHEWIND,
I concurr with the skirm at high speed...a$$ end high, front end low does not seem to make for good high speed 'sitting' on the slab...low rear and higher end seems to work best at high speeds--straight that is!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts