GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am about ready to order some tires. I am probable going to go with the Michelin Alpine Primacy on the rear with all the talk about better riding at a reasonable cost I figure it is worth a gamble even though I am not crazy about how CT look on the bikes. (cosmetic vanity)

However I am a little confused about the front.

I seems over here on the two wheel side that the Bridgestone BT-45 is the favorite replacement for the front. While shopping I came across the Michelin Pilot Active which seems to be the favorite over on the three wheel side of the fence.

What the Heck? Can't we all just get along?

I am sure either would give me more life than my 709 which I believe to be about 12,000 miles. I am the second owner so I do not know if the previous owner changed it out at 6,000 or not. I am leaning toward not since I have put about 3,500 on it and it doesn't seem to be wearing overly fast.

I am a little concern about the talk of the BT-45 soft edges. Most of my riding is not in the mountains although I go there as often as I can. But soft edges means sticky and I like sticky even at the cost of mileage. I don't like cupping or wearing out prematurely though. Dry and Wet traction for me is a big deal as it rains here....ALOT!

So why the two camps. What is the big difference between the two tires. Why do trike seem to like the Michelin tire better.

I know the trike typically has a different Rake and Trail and I would assume that turning a trike would put more stress on the edges of a tire than a two wheel version. So is that the reason or is there something I am missing?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
It seems over here on the two wheel side that the Bridgestone BT-45 is the favorite replacement for the front. While shopping I came across the Michelin Pilot Active which seems to be the favorite over on the three wheel side of the fence.

I just purchased the BT-45 for mine because of the comments read.
I have NOT heard of the Michelin Pilot Active used on the front. If this is correct (by replies from those who hav
e it installed on front) than I would really like to know more about it and what the exact size is..

I would rather have two Michelins on my bike then a mixed brand/set.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
That is my thinking too. Here is a link to the tire and as you will see there are 107 reviews most are from trikes.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/6158/i/michelin-pilot-activ-rear-tire

SO I would guess I would still order the 130/80H/17 tire if I was going to go this route.

I know I will install the BT-45 on the front of mine since I already ordered it.. This gives me 30k miles of time to read all about the Michelin pilot active rear tire and if I like what I read and hear about it, then this would be my NEXT choice so that I would have two Michelins on my wing.

I also sent you an email Tom..
Eck

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I tried the Pilot Activ, mistake. The tread pattern caused the front wheel to "wander" back & forth up to about 15mph. Lean grip was not there either. Took it off. I think the trike guys mostly use it? YMMV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts