GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocky I know nobody cares, but for anyone that does here is a video of the Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 on the road. The air pressure was set to 34 psi with a digital gauge before I left the house. It is a non run flat, low rolling resistance type tire.

At 5:25 the camera mount does touch the ground a little but no damage done, I am going to shorten the mount a little.

Fast forward at 7:30 to 9:30 for a red light.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
jwolffie, thanks for posting. Looks like a pretty good contact patch and behaves as one would expect.

I am still trying to figure out this EP100. Finally had to move to 38 psi...this recent heat wave we had made the tire feel "gooey" (at 36 psi) if that makes sense.

The tire has been beaten pretty hard through some pretty good twisties and I think I could run right along side my Kumho. So for a $97 not bad. I guess longevity of the tire will be telling...can it last as long as the Kumho for me. After trying this tire I may try one of Bridgestone's 3rd generation LRR tires in a RF variety.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Thanks for posting. :yes1:

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
Vid's like yours it's easy to see why we love the BMT's . For me I would need a few more psi to get rid of that flex in sidewall. I gotta say it does look much better than most nrf's at 34psi :thumbup: With a great round profile. Gladto see you love it:yes1:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Thanks Wolffie, for posting that for us!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Now what would be really cool is say, take you with your EP100, Rail with a Falken, and TravelinLite, or Trialsman, or Murgie with a Kumho, or Pirelli RF (let's go with both), 4 bikes. All have cameras mounted like you have and go nose to tail at the same speed on something like the Dragon. Everyone run the PSI they like to run! Now would that be cool or what! That would give us a good comparison of what each tire would doing. Hey, while we are at it, let's have a tail-gunner with a camera mounted high to capture the whole event!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi JWolffie I cercainly care & appreciate Your input

Rocky I know nobody cares, but for anyone that does here is a video of the Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 on the road. The air pressure was set to 34 psi with a digital gauge before I left the house. It is a non run flat, low rolling resistance type tire.

At 5:25 the camera mount does touch the ground a little but no damage done, I am going to shorten the mount a little.

Fast forward at 7:30 to 9:30 for a red light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e73QYJpsImM
Certainly looks to me the Tread flexes and give more contact on the ground in turns then the Run Flat Car Tires do. I don't know if my Goodyear TripleTred flexes and if I can ever wear it out I may Try this EP100 as my next Tire if it exceeds 30,000 Miles wear.
Thanks for Video,
Ron

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
thanks for the video!

JWolffie, of course we care!

Or maybe I'm just bored answering phones at my favorite charity...

I just went over to the Darkside a couple of months ago, running the Kumho Ecsta RF, so my question is, what would be the difference between the Kumho and the Bridgestone?

I notice the Bridgestone is a non-RF...and the RF was what I saw as a big benefit to running CTs. What do you gain with the non-RF?

Just curious...still have much to learn about CT vs MT.

Thanks,

Jim O'Dowd

·
Registered
11,183 Posts

I just went over to the Darkside a couple of months ago, running the Kumho Ecsta RF, so my question is, what would be the difference between the Kumho and the Bridgestone?

I notice the Bridgestone is a non-RF...and the RF was what I saw as a big benefit to running CTs. What do you gain with the non-RF?

Thanks,

Jim O'Dowd
Jim, until jwolffie gets back to answer, you can do some reading here:
http://murgie.com/FAQ.htm
I would suggest reading up to, and including, the paragraph titled "Flickability in Handling"

Good luck.

·
DSI Keeper
9,173 Posts
JWolffie, great video! :bow: Watching that explains a lot of what I feel riding on this tire. I now have about 700 miles on mine so far (1 week of riding). Here are some of my thoughts, for whatever they are worth.

@34 psi, I noticed the ride very soft. Eerie, almost as I ran cement radials or runflats. Now, the problem with soft tires, they give in a hard turn. So much so, that I was caught off guard when the pegs scraped. Both sides. They scrape before I thought they should have, or would not have scraped. As I rode it, the tire pressure was building up and by the time it was at 40 psi, it was feeling pretty good. I have a TPMS and I can easily watch the pressure changes.

One thing I didn't like about this pressure tho, is running a series of twisties that have you tossing the bike back and forth. It felt like the tire was squatting from each direction change and causing a slight lag.

I also can tell that it is a low resistance rolling tire. You'd be amazed how much difference there is when rolling it on level smooth road.

Now, running it at 34 psi and waiting for the tire pressure to build up enough to keep me from dragging isn't my cup of tea. I decided to pump the pressure up to 40 psi. Big difference in the corners. The tire pressure will change up to about 44 psi and it handles real good right there. :thumbup:

You have to wonder tho, is that extra pressure going to kill any chances of mileage? At 600 miles, Travelin' measured the tread depth with his super duper tread gauge. 9/32" in the center grooves and 7/32" in the outer grooves. At that current rate, that means I'll get about 4800 miles (600 x 8/32" of usable tread) out of it. Less, if the edges give out first.

So far, I give it two thumbs up for handling and the fun factor. Now, we will see the mileage factor. Better than a Falken? I would have to say yes to that also.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Jim, until jwolffie gets back to answer, you can do some reading here:
http://murgie.com/FAQ.htm
I would suggest reading up to, and including, the paragraph titled "Flickability in Handling"

Good luck.
Thanks for the heads-up! Read it all and now more confused than ever! Not really...there was a lot of good info in there. The one thing I don't discern any difference in is the "flickability" factor. Perhaps I'm just not "sensitive" enough to notice (as my wife would be quick to posit), but the handling with my CT seems to me to be just the same as before. Just a much smoother ride on the slab.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up! Read it all and now more confused than ever! Not really...there was a lot of good info in there. The one thing I don't discern any difference in is the "flickability" factor. Perhaps I'm just not "sensitive" enough to notice (as my wife would be quick to posit), but the handling with my CT seems to me to be just the same as before. Just a much smoother ride on the slab.
Jim, not to worry. The term flickability is often used to discuss how quickly/nimble the bike is to throw back and forth in the turns. If you don't ride like that, it doesn't mean a whole lot IMO. The main thing is that you are happy with a very safe tire.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Jim, not to worry. The term flickability is often used to discuss how quickly/nimble the bike is to throw back and forth in the turns. If you don't ride like that, it doesn't mean a whole lot IMO. The main thing is that you are happy with a very safe tire.
Very well put!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Nice video, the tire flexes as designed, so that may
give a little better handling. I'm thinking of the rf version
when it comes out...hopefully around the time I need one.
Thanks for your effort!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Nice video. I would have liked to see what it looks like in a full-lock low speed turn but other than that, great job! It behaves about exactly as I imagined it should. I think it is the best CT video to date.
MM

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks,

Jim O'Dowd
Here is the Kuhmo, not on my bike though.
I wanted a tire that flexed more and kept more tread on the ground than my Kuhmo did.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JWolffie, great video! :bow: Watching that explains a lot of what I feel riding on this tire. I now have about 700 miles on mine so far (1 week of riding). Here are some of my thoughts, for whatever they are worth.

@34 psi, I noticed the ride very soft. Eerie, almost as I ran cement radials or runflats. Now, the problem with soft tires, they give in a hard turn. So much so, that I was caught off guard when the pegs scraped. Both sides. They scrape before I thought they should have, or would not have scraped. As I rode it, the tire pressure was building up and by the time it was at 40 psi, it was feeling pretty good. I have a TPMS and I can easily watch the pressure changes.

One thing I didn't like about this pressure tho, is running a series of twisties that have you tossing the bike back and forth. It felt like the tire was squatting from each direction change and causing a slight lag.

I also can tell that it is a low resistance rolling tire. You'd be amazed how much difference there is when rolling it on level smooth road.

Now, running it at 34 psi and waiting for the tire pressure to build up enough to keep me from dragging isn't my cup of tea. I decided to pump the pressure up to 40 psi. Big difference in the corners. The tire pressure will change up to about 44 psi and it handles real good right there. :thumbup:

You have to wonder tho, is that extra pressure going to kill any chances of mileage? At 600 miles, Travelin' measured the tread depth with his super duper tread gauge. 9/32" in the center grooves and 7/32" in the outer grooves. At that current rate, that means I'll get about 4800 miles (600 x 8/32" of usable tread) out of it. Less, if the edges give out first.

So far, I give it two thumbs up for handling and the fun factor. Now, we will see the mileage factor. Better than a Falken? I would have to say yes to that also.
I am doing a little work on my camera mount, I will try to post the same thing again with 40 psi as the starting pressure for comparison.
I checked my mileage today and I have more on the tire than I thought, starting mileage for this tire was 57,600 miles and I am now at 66,927. My Kuhmo was dead at 8000 miles.

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
J

Great explanation of tire flex,handling, and your impression of this tire ! As I do not want flex in a tire choice ,still closing watching input on this tire and the LLR tire family thanks number dude :yes1:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I have watched the video jwolffie posted (post #16) on the Kumho before and didn't notice this. The text below the video says it is inflated to 32 psi. None of the Kumhos I have used have had that round of a profile at 32 psi.

Did anyone else notice this?

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
I have watched the video jwolffie posted (post #16) on the Kumho before and didn't notice this. The text below the video says it is inflated to 32 psi. None of the Kumhos I have used have had that round of a profile at 32 psi.

Did anyone else notice this?
You bet ,that tire is round that's what catches my curiosity:thumbup: now get rid of that flex and you got a winner in my mind.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts