GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a Z Speed rated Bridgestone or other Z Rated tire on the front of their GL1800A. I am looking at replacing the front tire and am looking at some options.

Z Rated has a higher speed rating and same Load Rating (63)

130/70ZR18M/C 63 W (ZR)-168 MPH 5 TUBELESS 4727 REPLACEMENT BLACKWALL

130/70R18 63 H-130 MPH 6 TUBELESS 122971 OE FITMENT BLACKWALL

Your feedback is appreciated.

I would guess that the Z would not get same tread wear (worse ?).

Price is much better for Z for some reason.

Thanks Steve

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
The higher the speed rating, usually the higher the cost, and always less tire miles. Z rated tires will have a stickier rubber compound, and probably give less confidence in wet weather.

Are you an aggressive rider ??? If so, and to give me an idea of how aggressive you ride, how many miles do you get out of a set of tires ???

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Greg,
Not too aggressive. Don't crack 140 kph very often ! I think I have about 10,000 miles on Elite 4. Just put new Elite 4 on back. Was thinking of trying this as price is exceptional.
Any idea where the tread wear info is for these puppies ?
Otherwise, this tire (z) probably has stronger carcass.
Exedra Max ZR for front $118 CDN R is $140.
Steve

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Hi Greg,
Not too aggressive. Don't crack 140 kph very often ! I think I have about 10,000 miles on Elite 4. Just put new Elite 4 on back. Was thinking of trying this as price is exceptional.
Any idea where the tread wear info is for these puppies ?
Otherwise, this tire (z) probably has stronger carcass.
Exedra Max ZR for front $118 CDN R is $140.
Steve
Tread wear is stated by a tire manufacturing company. Another way to say that is this. If a up and coming tire company needs to stretch truths to make headway into an already competitive market, they will over state tread ware on their new tire, while a company who needs to protect their good name will understate their tread wear ratings. At least that was true for the automotive/light truck tire industry of the 80s' and 90s. I'm sure it is still that way today. Apparently what the tire companies agree on is the scale that will be used with a low number being faster wearing and the higher being longer wearing. Unfortunately many things are that way. As for the m/c tire industry, I doubt there is such a thing as a tread wear scale, so I doubt you'll fine a tread wear chart.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I had one on my 2010, it had a little over 10,000 miles when I changed it at 2/32 of tread depth left, the bike had Traxxion suspension.

Has anyone used a Z Speed rated Bridgestone or other Z Rated tire on the front of their GL1800A. I am looking at replacing the front tire and am looking at some options.

Z Rated has a higher speed rating and same Load Rating (63)

130/70ZR18M/C 63 W (ZR)-168 MPH 5 TUBELESS 4727 REPLACEMENT BLACKWALL

130/70R18 63 H-130 MPH 6 TUBELESS 122971 OE FITMENT BLACKWALL

Your feedback is appreciated.

I would guess that the Z would not get same tread wear (worse ?).

Price is much better for Z for some reason.

Thanks Steve

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I had 9600miles on my Exedra Max "Z" when i took it off. Weird but it was the same mileage as i had on the G709 that came on the bike.

Most like the G709 but i didn't. The 709 was terrible in rocks no matter what size they were and in my yard that i have to go through to get to blacktop. Tar snakes here were really scary. I try to avoid them with any tire though.

I have 4500 miles so far on the second Exedra Max Z rated.

I hit a special on mine at Jake Wilson and bought 4. That was over a year ago though. Around $98 each and then $25 rebate from Bridgestone on each one.
I can't complain for $73 each.
Dennis Kirk had them for around $98 also at that time.

Maybe @Mr. Whiskey will chime in also.

I don't know anyone that tried the "H" .. I was curious about them also if they would last longer without losing any traction ability.

Greg: stickier tire and less traction in wet??? Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. Please explain.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts