GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the Bridgestone Exedra tires on the Goldwing? They are also called the G850-rear and G851-front. HDL has them on their VTX page. About $236 for the set.

Thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
Have a set on now with just over 3000 on them, have a slight decel wobble around 40 other than that I like them so far.

·
Registered
28 Posts

What's the difference in the Bridgestone G704/G709 and the G850/G851.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Compounds used in construction 850/851 are Z rated vs H rating for the 704/709 also the max load ratings are different 850 is 70 series rear, 704 is 60 series. More info at <www.motorcycle-karttires.com>

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
The G 850/851 are Z rated - means speeds up to 150mph for half an hour. They are built for the 1800 VTX, and are four ply treads and sidewalls, and are also 70 series. Have about 3000 miles on a set so far, and are really smooth riding, stick like glue, and I like them as well as the Metzlers 70 series to date. Jury is still out on wear factor, but I know they will not wear as long as the 60 series Metzs I used. And have not tested them out in the rain yet. But I have used a 70 series Metz on the rear, and will never go back to a 60 series rear tire. I will sacrifice the added wear for the handling improvement and added clearance anytime.

I could not find them on HDLs site, so I got them from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse for $89.95 for the front, $129.95 for the rear, shipping not included - that worked out to $235 delivered.

http://www.mawonline.com/bridgest.htm#Tires street

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great...

thanks guys ! Something else to consider. I just order 704/709's and will try them, next set may try the 850/851's.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I just got my G704/709's in the mail today. Ordered them on tuesday and got them today through ups ground. Go figure? I got them for 279 with shipping, which I am happy with. I'm curious how long they will last on the wing. I had 722's on my Nomad which stuck like glue but only lasted 6500 miles.

Wish me luck.
DJ

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just checked out the site listed above. The 850 has a higher load rating than the 704. About 80 lbs more. I am headed to Alaska next summer and don't want to be caught looking for tires right before the trip. I will probably be putting a set of these on very soon for the test drive. And then order the set I want over the winter. Currently I have E3s with 7K miles. Performance is OK but the noise is terrible. Two up with a trailer, leaned over in a corner and you would swear that every bearing on the bike had gone bad at the same time.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Jay, for what its worth, you may want to research the tire choice a little bit. If you are heading for Alaska, there are some pretty bum roads that-a-way. The 60 series wing tires all have 6 ply tread of some kind - Metzler has one of steel, five of Aramid, Avons have fabric, Stones have Aramid, but all are six ply tread.

The 70 series for the VTX/Valk all have four ply tread of various materials, and the 850/851 is no exception. Every one of the 70 series has the higher load rating, and the 850/851 alone has a higher speed rating, but you give up the beefier casing. I do know that the 70 series tires I have used (Metz and Stones 851) are a lot easier to mount than the 60 wing tires, which tells me they are not as stiff.

Just tossing it out so you are aware there is a difference.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IR Harry,

Thanks for the input. Got something similar from another rider that made a recent trip to Alaska. Obviously on a trip like that one would sacrifice a little comfort for the best reliability that can be had. My E-3s are not bad, just NOISY. When I asked about the one "Must Have" accessory for the Alaska trip. He said a Tulsa Belly pan. Took his off to service the bike and it was beat to hell. Imagine what that might have done to his bike parts under there. If E-3s cannot be had I may have no choice.

Thanks again

·
Registered
228 Posts
centerpunch said:
I just got my G704/709's in the mail today. Ordered them on tuesday and got them today through ups ground. Go figure? I got them for 279 with shipping, which I am happy with. I'm curious how long they will last on the wing. I had 722's on my Nomad which stuck like glue but only lasted 6500 miles.

Wish me luck.
DJ
DJ:

I had right at 14K on my last set of 704/709 stones. They probably had another couple thousand miles on them (and no considerable wobble), but HDL was having a sale that i couldn't pass up, so I bought new tires and had them installed. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to ride much lately, but I do have about 3000 miles on the new tires and couldn't be happier.

Enjoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts