GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 6000 miles (10,000 KM) on my front Bridgestone and and am approaching the wear bar P1050545.jpg P1050547.jpg P1050548.jpg

We have been riding in europe since may 2 and are now in Austria and Itly area doing these amazing passes. I am a little concerned about riding all these passes especially the big ones like Stelvio and Grossglockner etc that are still to come. I have about 18 days left before riding ends with insurance expiring.. I figure about 2000 more KM travel. Not sure whether to wait and get one put on at the end or try to find one now? What do you think?

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I have 8,300 on my current Stones and my front tire looks much better that yours. What PSI are you running?

In answer to your question, however, it is always better to play it safe and get new tires if you think you may need them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Check your rear also. I just replaced my front and rear Bridgestones. The front was at the wear bars, but the rears were completely worn and actually had a little patch of casing showing. I am happy that I also checked the rear before going out again. This was after a 3800 mile ride. I would guess the tires lasted about 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
What is that spot on the tire?

As for the tire and photo, not to the wear bars yet, past use experience should allow you another 1500 miles as a mile is longer than a Kilometer or whatever it is.

Most of us use even wear across the tread mated with the wear bar as the indication of when to replace the tire.

The stone has little tread to begin with even when new, looks to me like you have enough to finish the trip.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have about 6000 miles (10,000 KM) on my front Bridgestone and and am approaching the wear bar
We have been riding in europe since may 2 and are now in Austria and Itly area doing these amazing passes. I am a little concerned about riding all these passes especially the big ones like Stelvio and Grossglockner etc that are still to come. I have about 18 days left before riding ends with insurance expiring.. I figure about 2000 more KM travel. Not sure whether to wait and get one put on at the end or try to find one now? What do you think?
What are you going to do when it rains on top of a mountain pass?
Looks like your tire is still ok for dry roads, however, twisty mtn pass roads in a good downpour...

I see you live in Kelowna, would you want ride over Rogers Pass in a downpour with that front tire?

BTW the bonus is IF you did get a new tires, fate will likely dictate that you won't see a drop of rain :)

Rick

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
no snow in them mtn passes ? slow down a little if rains :bow: i'm cheapo and life is worth buck 2 80 so i would wear it out . good luck n enjoy your trip. need pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

·
Registered
20,948 Posts
Personally I would not hesitate to ride that tire a couple thousand more miles . :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Good advice up above - and a second on checking the rear carefully, especially along the sidewalls.

The front still has some good mileage left, but as was pointed out - be careful in wet road conditions. The channels are for water dispersion - a tire with no grooves actually gives better dry road traction - but not so great with wet roads.

Personally - I would ride the tire but ease off on the throttle some to maximize the tire life.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Now that you have advice, let's see pictures!

David

·
Registered
827 Posts
I would be done with that tire. It seems that tires wear faster once they reach the wear bars. Maybe its just me but i've started out on a trip thinking I have a couple thousand more miles and 500miles into the trip I'm on a bald tire.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Get a tread depth gauge and measure it. brand new is 11/32 I have 20K on mine with 3/32 tread left, getting almost to the wear indicator but not yet.

·
Registered
20,948 Posts
I would be done with that tire. It seems that tires wear faster once they reach the wear bars. Maybe its just me but i've started out on a trip thinking I have a couple thousand more miles and 500miles into the trip I'm on a bald tire.
My vision sure ain't nothin to brag about but to me it looks like he has a ways to go before hitting the wear bars ?

·
Chard Member
12,964 Posts
Get a tread depth gauge and measure it. brand new is 11/32 I have 20K on mine with 3/32 tread left, getting almost to the wear indicator but not yet.
FYI.... Stone 709 only starts with 5 or 6/32. Rear 704 starts with 10/32.

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
584 Posts
If you have to ask the question then you are concerned; that should be your answer. Safety & peace of mind is well worth the price of a tire, even in Europe,

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
11/32, that has to be a BT45 (rear)....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts