GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be replacing tires soon and am planning on trying the Bridgestones. So far I have experience with the two Dunlops. The D 250 front has the center groove which tended to follow the rain grooves on the freeways, whereas the E3's didn't notice the grooves at all. However, I have 8,000 miles on them and they are howling loudly. The rear is seriously cupped and produces the howling which I probably could live with, but they also vibrate when leaned over in tighter turns and I find that distracting. It may not be causing a significant loss of traction in the turn, but it feels like it. Therefore, I am on to the Stones.

My question directed to those of you with Stones that ride on freeways with rain grooves is: does the center groove in the Bridgestone front follow the grooves? I notice that the Bridgestone center groove is not continuous, but is offset every 3 inches or so.

Does it work?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Some have said that the center groove helps cancel some wobble. Not sure I buy into that except to say that I had no wobble with the D250's and I now have a slight wobble with the E3's. IMO, there isn't much difference, concerning following grooves, between the D250's and E3's. Lots of time I ride a groove, or tar snake, to know what it feels like so I don't freak out when I happen onto one when I'm not paying attention. Here in SoCal they're easy to find. The road crews here don't have a clue how to make a seamless blacktop. lol

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
STONES
GOOD :rain1: :biker:

·
Registered
621 Posts
I ran a set of E3's last season and hated them (I know tires, oil, seats, windshields, etc, etc as all subjective). After 6000 miles they were cupped, howled and I had lost all faith in their ability to provide solid traction on wet or dry roads. I trashed them and put on a set of these Stones. After 11,000 this year in all kinds os weather and road conditions including highway, I'm replacing them with another set, there are great!.

Back to your question, I haven't noticed that the Stone's follow the grooves and more or less than the E3's. My 250's did, E3's didn't. So the simple answer is no.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Stone 709 is the best front tire I have run. I never noticed it following rain grooves.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've never noticed that the Bridgestone front will follow rain groves. It's the perfect match for the GL1800 - rain or shin. Once you try it there won't be another front tire you will want to put on the bike.

Reiner

·
Registered
290 Posts
I noticed that the 709 does tend to "hunt" more than the Metzeler it replaced. I still believe it is the best front tire that you can get!

Not so for the rear Stone. After about 7,500 miles it had a knot on the right side as big as a fist. If I go back to a motorcycle tire on the back, it will be a Metzeler.

Good luck

Dwight

Darksider International #11

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
709...always rating high among dingers

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've got a set of Stones and a set of E3 Lops mounted. The 709 has about 15k on it and no cupping at all as opposed to the original 704 that started cupping at 5K. Looks like it will last at least another 5k. The E3 has about 10k on it and shows some minor cupping. Looks like it will go another 5k also.

I much prefer the Stones front and rear. May just be in my head but I just trust them more. Especially in the wet even though the rear is usually used up at around 10k. Rear Lops, 250s & E3, have lasted 15k or more.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Terpen
Love your video

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bridgestones

I have run both models of Dunlops, and a set of Metzlers. The Bridgestones are the best tires I have ever put on a Goldwing. Most my buddies used the Metzlers on their wings and I have convinced them that stones are the best. They all run Stones now and swear by them....
LR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts