GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone go from Dunlops to BS? Any noticeable difference in cornering? I had a Suzuki 1500LC that had stock BS tires. Made a big difference when I changed to Dunlops..cornering was much easier. I believe that the BS tires were much harder, so they lasted longer but the feel was not as good as the Dunlops. Wonder how it is on the Wing..

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Bias ply tires are a different critter. I hated Stones on my TD. The wing seems to like them though. I am happy with the Stones and don't know about E3's, but the bias ply were great. I was concerned about going to Stones since they were so bad as a bias tire but have been satisfied with them so far and won't go back to the 205's by choice. I didn't have bad luck with them but didn't care for the wet handling or the wear.
Your experience may vary. Good Luck. You've opend a box here.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ok here we go again -- where is that popcorn smiley?

Stone G708 and G709 beat the snot outta the dunlop D250's and are a heck of a lot quieter than the E3's are.

The E3's will give you good mileage, but you might want to get a pair of earplugs :).

Tires - who would have thought.....

Cheers!

http://www.jimnlyn.com

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Sometimes a little air pressure one way or another will make a big difference in the way a tire handles.

Just sayin'.

S

·
0 Posts
Anyone go from Dunlops to BS?

Your in the right place for plenty of that ! :joke:

There will be others with plenty of feedback on your question , personally I have tried them all and still like BS overall .

·
Registered
233 Posts
Always rode Harley's and used Dunlops, great tire. This is my first Wing and it came with Dunlops and they seem fine. I have another set of Dunlops waiting to go on when these wear out. You will get a wide range of opinions with your question and maybe some heated debate too.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Your in the right place for plenty of that ! :joke:

There will be others with plenty of feedback on your question , personally I have tried them all and still like BS overall .

I think that a little BS (now and then) is beneficial. :thumbup:

(sorry, I just couldn't help myself)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I had a Suzuki 1500LC that had stock BS tires. Made a big difference when I changed to Dunlops..cornering was much easier. I believe that the BS tires were much harder, so they lasted longer but the feel was not as good as the Dunlops. Wonder how it is on the Wing..
You'll exactly the opposite with this bike. The Bridgestones are way superior for brisk riding.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Always rode Harley's and used Dunlops, great tire. This is my first Wing and it came with Dunlops and they seem fine. I have another set of Dunlops waiting to go on when these wear out. You will get a wide range of opinions with your question and maybe some heated debate too.

:popcorn:
I (currently) have Dunlops on two bikes and Bridgestones on two others.

Never had a Dunlop on a Wing so I can't say - but the others have provided good service.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can feel the Dunlop tires slipping on wet pavement so want to go with the BS (Bridgestones) but also concerned about the feel when cornering. I could also try the Metzlers - I know this subject has been worked, but my main concern is this. Lot of good comments on the BS tires and I am getting ready to think about new tires.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Stones will be a different feel for your new lady. Go For It!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have tried Dunlop 250's, E3's, Avon, Metzler, and Bridgestones. E3's gave me the most mileage, but did not care for them on wet roads. Avons the best tire for the twistees, but wore out in 6,000 miles. Metzler's were never consistent, I never knew what I was getting and I had my worst wobble with them. Bridgestones are what I run now all the time. Usually get around 17,000 miles on a set, work well in the twistees, and they're a good rain and wet road tire.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I'm torn between E'3s or BS .... my very knowledgable tech likes E'3s
for some reason...He prefers them overall .

This man has worked on bikes for over 40 years... he can rebuild a wing
in 3 hrs .

Based on conversations he had with bikers on various tires he's installed
and feedback over the years and recently E'3s seem to be MOST popular...with least complaints , tire wear , reliability , pressure retention....bla, bla , bla...he did say he'd pick the Stones 2nd or 3rd

I need to make a move soon...I have 11,477 miles on my Wing, rear tire starting to cup...and I monitered the heck out of my tires.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just changed my tires on my 08 GW (6,000 miles)...had the 'stock' Dunlops, went with the Stones:thumbup:....WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! The bike rides smoother now than it did when I drove it off the show room floor:joke:. Havn't put but 100 miles on them, but, VERY SMOOTH. JMHO.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Any noticeable difference in cornering?
Yes, very substantial differences between the two tires. The Stones will corner and hold the grip (and line) much much better than either Dunlop. It's really not even a contest. Then if you add wet pavement and rain to the equation, the Dunlop's are horrible, whereas the Stone's are great.

I had a Suzuki 1500LC that had stock BS tires. Made a big difference when I changed to Dunlops..cornering was much easier. I believe that the BS tires were much harder, so they lasted longer but the feel was not as good as the Dunlops. Wonder how it is on the Wing..
Actually the reverse is true on the Dunlop's and Stone's for the Wing. Dunlop's are a much harder tire (try installing them on the rim compared to the Stones and you'll get that message real quick). E-3's sing (howl) like the dickens too. They are embarrassingly loud and noisy on the Wing, whereas the Stones are pretty quiet.

Based on conversations he had with bikers on various tires he's installed and feedback over the years and recently E'3s seem to be MOST popular...with least complaints , tire wear , reliability , pressure retention....bla, bla , bla...he did say he'd pick the Stones 2nd or 3rd

I need to make a move soon...I have 11,477 miles on my Wing, rear tire starting to cup...and I monitered the heck out of my tires.
Too bad!! Your friend is probably a great mechanic, but I'd be very very careful about his recommendation on tires. IMO he is out to lunch, but why not try the three sets of tires - D250's - the E-3's and then the Stone's. You'll see the Stones are a superior set on the Wing rather quickly. The G709 front is hand's down the best front tire on a 1800, bar none. The G704 is good for the mileage provided (for me about 12,000 whereas the G709 is good for about 16,500 + miles) and it would be nice if the rear tire was able to provide a little more mileage. Ride-wise though, it's not a contest compared to either the D250 or the E-3's. Stones are much much better. Cheaper too!!

DaleC

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I must be a lucky fella.......my rear tire never cups, makes any noise and never slips. Great mileage too.:thumbup:;););)

·
Registered
495 Posts
I just changed my tires on my 08 GW (6,000 miles)...had the 'stock' Dunlops, went with the Stones:thumbup:....WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! The bike rides smoother now than it did when I drove it off the show room floor:joke:. Havn't put but 100 miles on them, but, VERY SMOOTH. JMHO.
Good to hear, I've got 6K on my '08 and it goes into the shop tomorrow for a new pair of Stones. I hope I have the same experience.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts